ScanEagle UAV to be presented to Memorial for new Afghanistan exhibition
Published: Tue 11 Jun 2013
Today a ScanEagle unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) will be presented to the Australian War Memorial by Insitu Pacific Limited, a subsidiary of the Boeing Company. This significant object will be featured in the new Afghanistan exhibition, which will be launched at the Memorial on 6 August this year and will open to the public on 9 August.
The ScanEagle will be presented to the Memorial Director, Dr Brendan Nelson, today at the ScanEagle handover event by Dr Ian Thomas, President of Boeing Australia and South Pacific, and Andrew Duggan, Managing Director of Insitu Pacific Limited.
- Dr Brendan Nelson, Director of the Australian War Memorial (welcome and thank you)
- Dr Ian Thomas, President of Boeing Australia & South Pacific (will present)
- Mr Andrew Duggan, Managing Director of Insitu Pacific Limited (will present)
- Today, Tuesday 11 June
- 4.50 pm – 5.10 pm: Last Post ceremony (event attendees will be in attendance)
- 5.30 pm: Handover event commences
- Last Post ceremony: Commemorative Area
- Handover event: Courtyard Gallery
*Please note due to the timing of the event, media will need to confirm attendance prior to the event
From 2006 to 2012 ScanEagle UAVs were an ever-present and watchful eye in the skies over Iraq and Afghanistan. They provide real-time intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance in support of Australian troops. ScanEagle aircraft No. 274 had its first flight from Talil Air Base in Iraq on 14 December 2006.
Moj Nozhat (02) 6243 4575 0409 600 038 email@example.com
Marylou Pooley (02) 6243 4383 0412 646 298