United in remembrance at the Last Post ceremony
Published: Mon 10 Feb 2014
Today the Director of the Australian War Memorial, Dr Brendan Nelson, and the Chairman of the Council of the Memorial, Rear Admiral Ken Doolan AO RAN (Ret’d), will welcome members of parliament to the Last Post Ceremony.
The Prime Minister of Australia, the Hon. Tony Abbott MP, and the Leader of the Opposition, the Hon. Bill Shorten MP, along with President of the Senate, Senator the Hon. John Hogg, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, the Hon. Bronwyn Bishop MP, and the Minister for Veterans’ Affairs, Senator the Hon. Michael Ronaldson, will join Dr Nelson and Rear Admiral Doolan in laying wreaths of remembrance at the Pool of Reflection.
This event will mark the opening of parliament for 2014 and serves as a reminder that the decisions of governments and parliaments have a price.
Today’s Last Post Ceremony will remember and pay tribute to Private Colin Campbell Barr and his brother Private David Barr of the 60th Battalion. On 19 July 1916 the battalion participated in its first major operation on the Western Front – Fromelles. As David and Colin crossed no-man’s land together, they were both hit by shrapnel. David died shortly afterwards, while Colin was sent to hospital in England with wounds to his chest and lungs. He passed away on 31 August 1916.
What: Parliamentary opening Last Post Ceremony
When: Monday 10 February 2014, 4.55 pm (please arrive at 4.30 pm)
Where: Commemorative Area, Australian War Memorial
- The Hon. Tony Abbott MP, Prime Minister of Australia
- The Hon. Bill Shorten MP, Leader of the Opposition
- Senator the Hon. John Hogg, President of the Senate
- The Hon. Bronwyn Bishop MP, Speaker of the House of Representatives
- Senator the Hon. Michael Ronaldson, Minister for Veterans’ Affairs
- Rear Admiral Ken Doolan AO RAN (Ret’d), Chairman of the Council of the Australian War Memorial
- Dr Brendan Nelson, Director of the Australian War Memorial
*Please note that there is an audio split available for wireless connection.
Moj Nozhat (02) 6243 4575 firstname.lastname@example.org
|United in remembrance at Last Post ceremony||102.12 KB|