Conditions of use and guidelines for the Research Centre Reading Room
Readers are required to complete a registration form and agree to abide by the conditions of use.
Bring your research notes and pencils only. All other items should be placed in the small lockers which are provided at the entrance to the Reading Room.
Complete retrieval slips, one for each item. Items will be held for collection at the Information desk. You will be issued only one wallet of private records containing loose papers or five official records files at a time. Do not assist yourself to records if the desk is unattended. Please return items to the desk.
We ask that you take great care with items. Do not:
- photocopy or photograph any archival material without the approval of Research Centre staff
- use archival material as a support for your note-taking paper
- use pens
- wet your fingers to turn pages
- remove pages or disturb the original order of the pages
- interfere with archival material or any sealed packages contained in them
- leave archival material unattended on your desk
- eat or drink in the reading room
- remove any collection item from the Reading Room
We also ask that you wash your hands before and after handling material as:
- oils and acids are produced by your skin all the time. In order to transfer as little of these harmful substances to the original records it is necessary to wash your hands regularly when handling archives (at least every hour).
- archival material may have been stored in a range of places. Sometimes they contain dirt, mould, animal droppings and residue from previous preservation treatments that may affect your health. Always wash your hands before eating.
In consideration for other readers, turn off your mobile phone and refrain from conversation in the reading room.
Readers must not photocopy or photograph any archival material without approval from Research Centre staff.
If you wish to request copies of original archival material, please bring the entire item in its folder to the information desk to discuss with the staff. Photocopying forms must be completed for all requests for copying. Insert ‘page markers’ provided at the desk, to indicate pages to be copied.
Photocopying books and serials
Readers may photocopy books and serials only.
All archival material must be photocopied by Research Centre staff.