The Memorial’s copying services are subject to the requirements of the Copyright Act 1968 and the Archives Act 1983, as well as contractual arrangements with donors.
If an item is still in copyright, and copyright is not held by the Memorial, we will require written evidence of copyright clearance before the order can be processed. For more information, see Copyright.
- Commercial use of material from the Memorial's collections will attract a fee in addition to the cost of making the copies. Fees are listed on the relevant order forms.
- Where the photographic image, film or sound recording is to be used in a publication, production, advertising, broadcast TV, merchandise, prior written permission is also required.
- All fees and charges are set out on the relevant order forms.
- Prepayment is required. Payment may be made by cheque payable to the Australian War Memorial, money order or credit card. Overseas remittances should be made in Australian dollars drawn on an Australian bank.
- Please note that prices are subject to change without notice.
- Australian business and government customers may apply for a credit account with the Australian War Memorial. (You must have an ABN number and be resident in Australia.)
Copies of archival material are available as a photocopy or a digital copy on CD. The cost is 50 cents per page plus postage. You are welcome to visit the Research Centre to select the pages you would like copied from a file.
Private records will require a copyright assessment and approval before copying can proceed. The assessment and approval process may take some time to complete depending on current demand and the information available for the collection.
You may be able to photograph official records with a hand-held camera. We do not permit tripods. However, there may be restrictions, so please consult staff before proceeding.
Restrictions may apply to some official and private records due to:
- limitations under the Copyright Act 1968 and the Archives Act 1983
- conditions relating to the donation
- risk to the physical condition of the material.
If you are unable to visit the Research Centre to select what you would like copied from a file, we can prepare a copy cost estimate for the entire file. Please include the full details of the record (series and/or ID number, control symbol, title and date) and your full contact details. Private record information may be obtained from Collections Search, and official records details are available from RecordSearch.
Please note we do not have the resources available to examine the file to determine which pages are relevant to your research. When your request is received, our copying staff will prepare a cost estimate and contact you with the details.
Copying requests are processed in the order in which they are received. Requests may take 8-12 weeks to complete. If a copyright assessment is required, it may take an additional 2-4 weeks.
- A4/A3 digital scan or photocopy of original $0.50 per page
- A1 - maps and oversize $5.00 per page
For enquiries regarding copying of documents, please contact the Research Centre:
Telephone: (02) 6243 4315
Fax: (02) 6243 4545
A copier is available in the Research Centre reading room for visitors to make copies from books and journals. The cost is 30 cents per page.
If you are unable to visit to make copies from these published sources, you can request them via inter-library loan from your local library.
We are able to provide black and white photocopies of single page documents larger than A3 for $5 a copy. If you require a digital copy of the item, please contact the eSales Unit for details.
- Use Collections Search to identify the image you would like to purchase.
- Click on “order a copy” and follow the directions. There are a range of sizes, quality and formats (including digital) to choose from, with prices indicated. For descriptions of formats and sizes, or to download an order form, go the Memorial's online shop.
Orders for photographs generally take 2 weeks to process and are handled in order of receipt.
Photographs of relic/museum item
It is possible to request copies of collection items not normally accessible, on display in the galleries, or in storage. If an image does not already exist, there will be a $50.00 service fee in addition to the reproduction cost.
You can make personal copies of films and sound recordings held in the Research Centre. Reference copies of films have a Memorial watermark and time code. Blank DVDs and tapes can be purchased in the Research Centre for $10.00.
- Use Collections Search to identify a film or sound recording.
- Download an order form from the database entry or from the Memorial's online shop.
Transcripts are available online for some sound recordings.
Orders for film and sound copying generally take 2 weeks to process and are handled in order of receipt.
For assistance regarding formats, costs, or the terms and conditions for copying of photographs, film and sound, please contact the eSales Unit:
Telephone: (02) 6243 4542 or (02) 6243 4438
Fax: (02) 6243 4469