Australian prisoners of war: Second World War - Prisoners of the Japanese, Borneo (Sandakan)
The Encyclopedia entry Australian prisoners of war: Second World War prisoners of the Japanese contains general information about the capture of Australian troops as well as entries on each location of imprisonment.
- Collections Search: includes photograph and art images, film, private records and sound collections [/search/collections/]
- Roll of Honour records the names of service men and women who died during or as a result of service with Australian military forces
- AMF Prisoners of War and Missing in the Far East and South West Pacific Islands
- RecordSearch: database of official records held by the Memorial and the National Archives of Australia
- Books database: search for published material including books, journal articles, maps, microfilmed collections and websites
- Stolen years: Australian prisoners of war. Online exhibition
Official records held by the Memorial include:
- [8th Division in Captivity - "B" Force (Borneo):] General Report on the activities of "B" Force in Borneo, July 1942 to July 1943 "E" Force Escape Parties, AWM54 554/3/1
- [8th Division in Captivity - "B" Force (Borneo):] Information regarding Allied Prisoners of War Sandakan - Jesselton and Ranau. Compiled by 3rd Australian PWC and I Unit, 24/9/45 . Part I - Movements; Part II - Information regarding movements; Part III - Information regarding Jap Officers in charge of POW "B" Information regarding Australian and British POW last seen alive; Part IV - Summary, AWM54 554/3/2
- [8th Division in Captivity - "E" Force (Borneo):] Report on "E" Force AIF Prisoners of War, Malaya, by Major J.G. Stanley, 1945, AWM54 554/6/1
- War Crimes and trials. Affidavits and Sworn Statements. Searchable by name and number, AWM54 1010/*
- Records of Australian Military Forces prisoners of war and missing, Far East and South West Pacific Islands . Contains nominal rolls and paybook photographs arranged by name, theatre of war and unit, AWM232. The nominal roll is available online.
Private records held by the Memorial include:
- A.W. Walsh, (Lieutenant Colonel) B Force. Nominal roll, EXDOC083
- R. Maffey, (Major) E force, Voyage from Singapore to Sandakan, MSS0851
- W.J. McDonagh (Sergeant) B force, Voyage from Singapore to Sandakan, PR00496
- B. Young, (Private) 2/29 Btn. Describes POW experiences, MSS1364
- W.H. Sticpewich, (Major) Papers regarding Sticpewich's experiences as a POW in North Borneo and post-war duties with 1 Australian Search Party, 31 Australian War Graves Unit. Includes detailed statement describing treatment of POWs at Sandakan, destruction of camp, forced march to Ranau, PR00637
- H. Rayson (Major) 2/10 th Fld Amb. Captivity and voyage Sandakan and Kuching, PR00720
- Hon. Athol Randolph Moffitt, CMG , QC (Captain, 1914-,). Significant collection of papers relating to War Crimes Trials, Borneo 1945-1946, and to the Sandakan POW camps, PR01378
- H.W.S. Jackson (Lieutenant Colonel) Extensive collection of papers and reports documenting the search for missing and deceased POW's, both in Borneo and Hainan, PR84/231
Books held in the Research Centre include:
- Gavin Long, The final campaigns, Australia in the War of 1939-1945, Series 1 (Army), vol. VII (Canberra : Australian War Memorial, 1963)
- Athol Moffitt, Project Kingfisher, (North Ryde, N.S.W.: Angus & Robertson, 1989).
- Kevin Smith, Borneo: Australia's Proud but Tragic Heritage (Armidale, N.S.W. : Kevin R. Smith, 1999). Appendices contain calendar of events, AIF Prisoner Movements- Sandakan, Officers of B and E Forces, POW deaths, Australians in Outram Road Gaol.
- Allan S. Walker, Middle East and Far East, Australia in the War of 1939-1945, Series 5 (Medical), vol. II (Canberra : Australian War Memorial, 1953).
- Neville Watterson, Borneo : the Japanese P.O.W. camps : mail of the forces, P.O.W. and internees (Northampton : W. N. Watterson, c1989).
- Lionel Wigmore, The Japanese Thrust, Australia in the War of 1939-1945, Series 1 (Army), vol. IV (Canberra : Australian War Memorial, 1957).
Check with your local library for availability of these books.