About Collection sales
Table of Contents
Formats & prices
Things you need to know before you place your collection order:
|Product||Production fee (incl GST)|
|300DPI TIFF (on CD ROM)||$44.00|
|300 DPI TIFF (file download)||$40.00|
|600 DPI TIFF (file download)||$75.00|
|1200 DPI TIFF (file download)||$125.00|
|Photographic Digital prints (LED) (unframed)|
|12.5 x 17.5 cm||$25.00|
|20 x 25 cm||$35.00|
|40 x 50 cm||$55.00|
|50 x 75 cm||$75.00|
|75 x 100 cm||$125.00|
|Fine art prints – silver rag (100% cotton) semi-gloss (unframed)|
|40 x 50 cm||$65.00|
|50 x 75 cm||$115.00|
|75 x 100 cm||$180.00|
|Fine art prints – canvas (unframed)|
|40 X 50 cm||$150.00|
|50 X 100 cm||$250.00|
|75 X 100 cm||$300.00|
|28 x 35.6 cm (11" x 14") including frame||$190.00|
|40.6 x 50.8 cm (16” x 20) including frame||$225.00|
|50.8 x 61 cm (20" x 24") including frame||$335.00|
|Personal use - DVD (whole film, one title) 0 – 60 minutes||$44.00|
|Personal use - Per additional title (up to 6 titles) on CD/DVD or as WMV||$15.00|
|Personal use - Last post Ceremony supplied on DVD (incl. postage)||$15.00|
|Preview WMV with time-code (whole film, one title) 0 – 60 mins||$44.00|
|DV.MXF – (time codes required) 0-60 mins supplied via file download||$44.00|
|DV.MXF – (time codes required) 0-60 mins supplied on USB device||$59.00|
|DV.MXF – per additional title (up to 6 titles)||$25.00|
|Transfer up to 0-60 mins (supplied via file download, CD Rom available upon request)||$44.00|
|Per additional recording (up to 6 titles)||$20.00|
Formats explained – scans, prints, film, sound
|High resolution TIFF scan 300 dpi||Professional reproduction including publication, up to A4 books and prints. Also suitable for multimedia productions.||300 PPI TIFF @ 20 x 25cm (5–7Mb Grayscale or 16-20Mb RGB @ 24bits)|
|High resolution TIFF scan 600 dpi||Professional reproduction for larger sized products i.e. A3 books and display posters. Suitable for multimedia productions that involve image panning and zooming.||600 PPI TIFF @ 20 x 25cm (27Mb Grayscale or 80Mb RGB @ 24bits)|
|High resolution TIFF scan 1200 DPI||Professional reproduction including larger book covers, A2 posters and signage. Suitable for multimedia productions that involve panning and zooming with greater image detail.||1200 PPI TIFF @ 20 x 25cm (107Mb Grayscale or 320Mb RGB @ 24bits)|
- TIFF – Tagged Image Film Format. An uncompressed and lossless image format.
- JPEG – Joint Photographic Expert Group. A "lossy" compression image format.
- Grayscale – Denoting no colour information (8 bits denotes 256 shades of grey).
- RGB – Red Green Blue. Denotes colour information (24 bits denotes 256 shades of each red, green or blue).
- DPI – Dot Per Inch. Relates to the output resolution of a printer device.
- PPI – Pixel Per Inch. Relates to input resolutions of cameras and scanners.
- WMV – Windows Media Files, playable on most platforms.
- DV.MXF – Digital Video within the MXF container (supports embedded Time-code).
- WAV – Industry accepted audio file (16bit, 44.1 KHZ).
The thumbnails shown in the Memorial's online catalogue are representative only of quality and dimension. If a thumbnail is displayed this does not mean that a high-resolution master copy exists.
The Memorial does not alter the aspect ratio (height versus width) of the historical photographic material. Generally, prints are supplied to the longest dimension as ordered; this ensures that the photographic image is not distorted. This can mean that the delivered print may not be the exact dimensions of the size ordered, and may not necessarily fit conventional frame sizes.
If the image you select is square, it will be printed to the shortest dimension of the print size chosen ie. 50 X 75cm – 50cm square image.
Digital prints (LED)
These are high quality prints for private, non-commercial use only. The image is watermarked. Digital prints are produced on photographic material by the exposure of digital information via an LED (Light Emitting Diode) light source.
Print resolution: 254 DPI (Dots Per Inch).
Image permanence: Typically more than 40 years, subject to storage conditions.
(See www.wilhelm-research.com for more information)
These are high quality prints suitable for framing, display and exhibition. Inkjet prints are produced using micro droplets of ink sprayed onto print material.
Fine art inkjet prints
These are high quality prints suitable for mounting, display and exhibition. Inkjet prints are produced using micro droplets of ink sprayed onto print material.
Print resolution: 360 DPI (Dots Per Inch).
Image permanence: Typically more than 70 years, subject to storage conditions.
(See www.wilhelm-research.com for more information)
All fine art prints are air dried flat for 24 hours prior to rolling and shipping.
100% cotton silver rag
This semi-gloss surface (100% cotton) emulates traditional silver fibre base photographic stock and is excellent for reproduction of black and white and colour images.
All images will printed with an additional 50mm of white bleed from your selected print size.
This neutral white (100% cotton) canvas fine art stock is excellent for reproduction of black and white images with deep rich blacks and neutral mid-tones. Due to its textured surface colour images may appear de-saturated.
Canvas prints are unstretched and unframed (supplied as a flat rolled print).
All images will be printed with an additional 80mm of white bleed or border (around the selected print size) to enable the canvas to be stretched if desired. Square images of 100cm can be problematic where the minimum image dimension will be reduced to 90cm to provide the required canvas for stretching.
Framed fine art inkjet prints
These are high quality fine art prints mounted in a single mat either off-white or rich maroon, framed in a black smooth black molding, protected by non-reflective acrylic and backed by compressed fiber mount board.
|Frame Size (all frames are black)||Image Size (to fit longest dimension)||Front profile face (bezel)|
11 x14 (279 x 355mm)
200 x 250 mm
16 x 20 (406 x 508 mm)
279 x 355mm
20 x 24 (508 x 609 mm
406 x 508
DVD recording standards
- Search the Collection.
- Download and fill in the order form
- Select the membership type you would like to purchase
- Follow the prompts
- Complete your billing and delivery details
- Go to the checkout
- Here you will be asked to either sign in or register
- Review your order
- Select a payment method
- Confirm your order
- Processing of your order can not commence until payment is received
- Please allow for at least a 3 week turnaround for all collection orders, including downloads.
- User fees may also apply if you intend to use the material for commercial use or public dissemination of any kind.
- Where the eSales Unit supplies you with a high quality reproduction of collection material for personal or commercial use, then conditions of use will apply. Please read these conditions. These conditions are designed to protect the integrity of collection material, and are regardless of an item's copyright.
- If a collection item is still in copyright and the copyright holder is not the Australian War Memorial, then the Memorial will require evidence of copyright clearance before your order can be processed.
- It is Memorial practice not to deviate the aspect ratio (height versus width) from the historical photographic material. Generally, prints are supplied to the longest dimension as ordered; this ensures that the photographic image is not distorted. This can mean that the delivered print may not be the exact dimensions of the size ordered. For framing purposes, it is advised to take delivery of the print before seeking a suitable frame.
- Customers should also be aware that the thumbnails shown in the Memorial's online catalogue are representative only for quality and dimension. If a thumbnail is displayed this does not mean that a high-resolution master copy exists.
- When ordering reproductions from the Memorials ART collection turnaround times may take longer than 3 weeks. This is dependent on whether or not the artwork requires photography or if it has copyright restrictions. In some instances the Artwork may be on loan and therefore unable to be photographed. The eSales unit will notify you if we are unable to supply the image.
- Matting (cotton silver rag) – all images will printed with an additional 50mm of white bleed from your selected print size.
- Stretching (canvas) – all images will printed with an additional 80mm of white bleed, from your selected print size. Square images of 100 cm can be problematic where the minimum image dimension will be reduced to 90cm to provide the required canvas for stretching.
- Print handling – all fine art prints are air dried flat for 24 hours prior to rolling and shipping.
- The Memorial provides MPEG2 encoded DVD-video (PAL) on single-sided DVD-R disc. Each 4.7 GB disc records approximately records one hour of video and audio is recorded using Dolby Digital 2 channels.
Personal DVD (without time-code)
This format is suitable for personal viewing purposes only. It is not suitable for copying or editing of any kind. If you intend to use a DVD for display purposes, an additional user fee may apply. Should you require film footage for commercial use we recommend you purchase the material on Digital Betacam. Please contact the eSales Unit for more information.
Preview .WMV (with time-code)
This format is suitable to preview and select footage from, then order at a higher resolution later. A WMV file is playable on any device/computer and supplied on CD or DVD dependent on file size. This material is time-coded in the bottom centre of the display for easy reference.
Digital Video (DV.MXF)
Subject to copyright you can order high-quality format of footage from the Memorial's film collection. This digital format is suitable for a number of broadcast applications, such as news, documentary and broadcast productions. The data rate equates to 14 GB per hour with a frame size of 720 x 576 pixels @ 25 frames per second, audio is 16 Bit 48 KHz. NOTE: Non-linear editing systems may require an external plug to play and import this format. DVD delivery contains approximately 20 minutes or client supplied USB hard drive to enable delivery of these files.
Recordings are transferred onto audio DVD/CDs (WAV @ 16bit, 44.1 KHZ). An additional user fee may apply if the intended use of collection material involves dissemination or publication of any kind. Where high quality reproductions are supplied by the eSales Unit, conditions of use will also apply.
User fees explained
What is a user fee?
If you wish to use one of the Memorial’s collection items (or one of our images of it) for a commercial purpose, you will be charged a fee known as the user fee. This is not a copyright fee, and applies regardless of a collection item's copyright status. User fees may be applicable to collection material used in a commercial way with the Memorial determining whether a user is commercial or otherwise. User fees are in addition to production costs.
Why does the Memorial charge a user fee?
It is our responsibility to house, care for, and preserve the items within our collection. This includes images, films, and sound recordings. User fees contribute towards the costs of maintaining this collection.
Do I have to pay the user fee and the production cost?
Yes. The user fee is additional to the production cost. Production costs apply to every collection item we supply, to help pay for staff time, materials and equipment to make your copy. We do not waive production costs
Can user fees be waived?
Sometimes. User fees may be waived for certain commemorative and educational purposes. To find out more about the waiver process, please contact eSales.
(Note: the Memorial will not consider waiver requests of $50.00 or less.)
What collection items can be copied for commercial use?
If photographs, art works, film footage, and sound recordings are protected by copyright, they can be reproduced for commercial use only if you have written permission from the copyright holder. These works may be used in books, magazines, calendars, advertising, broadcast TV, merchandise, etc. Before buying these items, you need to tell us your planned use, and the Memorial needs to give you permission. You will also need to agree to our terms and conditions, which outline appropriate storage and use of the supplied material.
If I want to order a copy of a work in the public domain, do I still need to ask permission to use it commercially?
Yes. The conditions of commercial use apply equally to works in the public domain.
If I purchase a copy of a collection item, does that mean I can do what I want with it?
The purchase of a copy of any collection item does not convey any right to use it commercially or in public.
User fee rates
User fees are in addition to production costs.
|Type of use||Qty/Duration||Price per image|
Publication (including eBooks) internal pages
|Up to 1,000 copies||$ 15.00|
|1,001 to 5,000 copies||$ 44.00|
|5,001 -10,000 copies||$ 55.00|
|Over 10,000 copies||$ 77.00|
|Publication (front or back cover) / publicity images||-||$ 250.00|
|Exhibition and public display||-||$ 22.00|
|News or Current Affair program||-||$ 33.00|
|TV broadcast/DVD production||10 years||$ 80.00|
TV Commercial / advertising / music clip /merchandise and other products
|Price on application|
Film Footage - user fees (10 Years)
User fees are in addition to production costs (if applicable)
20% discount after 10 minutes of footage used
|Type of use||Australia / New Zealand (10 years) per second rate||World (10 Years) per second rate|
|Exhibition/Public display||$ 25.00||$ 30.00|
|News and Current Affairs||$ 30.00||$ 50.00|
|DVD Production (only)||-||$ 25.00|
|Broadcast TV (includes DVD release)||$ 50.00||$ 70.00|
|Advertising / TV Commercial||Price on application||Price on application|
|Existing program / new sale / re-release||Price on application||Price on application|
|Film - Perpetuity||Price on application||Price on application|
Sound material – user fees
User fees are in addition to production costs (if applicable)
|Type of use||Australia / New Zealand per second rate||World per second rate|
|Radio/Television/Internet/Exhibition Public Display/News or Current Affairs||$ 1.10||$ 2.20|
|Advertising/Music clip||$ 11.00||$ 22.00|
|Perpetuity||Price on application||Price on application|
Many of the items in the National Collection are protected by copyright. This means that the images (i.e. reproductions) that appear on our website can be downloaded for use in various prescribed circumstances. These circumstances are described as "fairdealing" in the Copyright Act 1968 and are explained in the Australian Copyright Council's Fairdealing Information Sheet. However, use of a reproduction falling outside these circumstances must have the permission of the copyright owner.
If the record shows that a collection item is still in copyright and the copyright holder is not the Australian War Memorial, then the Memorial will require evidence of copyright clearance before an order can be processed.
Every collection item displays a copyright status. Please see copyright terms for further information regarding the copyright status of a collection item.
Conditions of use
Where the eSales Unit supplies you with a reproduction of collection material for personal or commercial use, then conditions of use will apply. These conditions are designed to protect the integrity of collection material, and are regardless of an item's copyright.
When making a purchase for commercial usage (i.e any kind of public display) you must read and agree to the conditions of use when you purchase a reproduction of collection material. You will receive a copy of these conditions once your purchase is complete and you can view an example of the agreement.
This Agreement is made between and binds the following parties:
- The Australian War Memorial (the Memorial); and
- The User