||Designed by Geoffrey de Havilland, and manufactured by the Aircraft Manufacturing Company, the DH-5 was the first fighting scout to be employed by the Australian Flying Corps. It was an usual design, having the uppermost of its two wings to the rear of the lower, to give the pilot an uninterrupted view forward and above; this feature, however, impeded the pilot's view to the rear - which was just as critical in aerial combat. The DH-5 was a robust aircraft, but it was slow, handled sluggishly, and was difficult to land. Entering service over the Western Front in May 1917 it was immediately outclassed by German aircraft and its primary mission was soon a ground attack one. The last DH-5s had been withdrawn from service by the beginning of 1918.