||The Maurice Farman MF 7 was christened the "Longhorn" by pilots when it first appeared in 1912 because of the outriggers that protruded from the front of the plane to support its forward elevators. Thus, it was inevitable, that when the MF 11, devoid of these forward booms, entered service in 1913, it would became known as the "Shorthorn". A "pusher" aircraft with its propeller and engine to the rear of the cockpit, the Shorthorn was used in operations by the British and French air arms in 1915 but was rapidly superseded by purpose-built fighting machines. The Australian Half Flight employed the Shorthorn in Mesopotamia, but in Australian Flying Corps its main role was a trainer. It was nicknamed "the Cow" because of its handling characteristics, and "the Rumpety" because of the rumbling noise it made when traveling over ground.