NX121 Lieutenant Colonel (WW2). 237504 Lieutenant Colonel (Korea) Charles Hercules Green, DSO

Date of birth 1919-12-26  Australia: New South Wales, Grafton 
Date and unit at enlistment (ORs)  1936-10-28  C Company, 41st Battalion. 
Date commissioned  1939-03-20   
Other units  1939-10-13  2/2nd Battalion. 
Other  1940-02-13  Arrived MIddle East. 
Date promoted  1941-03-12  Captain. 
Other  1942-03-27  Arrived Ceylon. 
Date promoted  1942-06-19  Temporary major. 
Other  1942-10-19  Arrived New Guinea. 
Other units  1942-12-30 - 1943-03-31  Instructor FAA Tactical School. 
Other units  1943-06-26  Instructor Land Headquarters Tactical School. 
Date returned to Australia  1943-10-31  Brisbane. 
Other  1944-08-18 - 1944-11-01  Course - Land Headquarters Tactical senior officers. 
Other  1944-12-30  Arrived Aitape. 
Other units  1945-03-09 - 1945-11-12  Commanding Officer 2/11th Battaion. 
Date and unit at appointment (Officers)  1945-03-09 - 1945-11-12  Commanding officer 2/11 Battalion, 6 Division, AIF. Green was the youngest commanding officer of an Australian infantry battalion during the Second World War. 
Date promoted  1945-03-14  Temporary lieutenant colonel. 
Other  1945-12-21  Reserve of Officers. 
Date of honour or award  1947-04-14  Companion of the Distinguished Service Order. 
Other units  1948-04-01  Commanding officer 41st Battalion. 
Date of death 1950-11-01  North Korea 

Charles Hercules Green fought in the Second World War, firstly as an officer in the 2/2 Battalion in Northern Africa and Greece and later becoming the Commander of the 2/11 Battalion in the Wewak campaign in New Guinea. He is believed to the youngest commanding officer of an Australian infantry battalion during the Second World War. At the end of the war, he left the army and returned to civilian life, but at the outbreak of the Korean War in 1950 he was appointed Commanding Officer of 3rd Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment (RAR). He led his men through battles at Yongju, Kujin and Chongju. After the action at Chongju on October 29, 1950, the battalion rested nearby. On October 30 the camp came under attack from 6 high velocity mortar shells, one of which exploded just outside the tent where Green was asleep. Badly wounded by shrapnel, he was transferred to a nearby field hospital, where he died on November 1st.