Pope's Hill

Named after Colonel Harold Pope of the 16th Battalion, Pope's Hill was a razor-backed ridge lying at the centre of a fork at the head of Monash Valley, in the heights above ANZAC Cove. It was occupied by Australian troops on 25 April 1915 and remained a key post on the ANZAC frontline until the end of the campaign. Pope's Hill commanded a good field of fire over the Turkish lines opposing the crucial position of Quinn's Post and thus was a favourite spot for Australian snipers and the site of several machine-guns and trench mortars.