Wartime: General information & submission guidelines
Wartime is a quarterly popular history magazine focusing on the Australian experience of war.
Readers with an interest in Australian history and military affairs. We aim to publish pieces written in a lively and engaging style, of interest to both amateurs and professionals. We are unable to accept works of fiction or poetry for publication.
- It is advisable to submit a proposal before writing your story. You may then be invited to submit the full text for consideration.
- At that point, you will be given a suggested word length, depending on your topic. This is commonly about 1,000 to 2,000 words.
- We do not publish footnotes or references, but we ask you to use them in your submitted text for checking. You may add a short list of further reading for the Wartime reader.
- Submit text as a Word document attached to an email.
- Please do NOT send transparencies, photographs, illustrations, or maps until asked to do so. However, it is helpful to indicate in advance any relevant materials you have that might be used to illustrate the piece.
- We pay $300 per 1,000 words on publication.
Military History Section
Australian War Memorial
GPO Box 345
CANBERRA ACT 2601