The Desert Column

December 1916 -

Following the reorganisation of British forces in Egypt in December 1916, the mounted advanced units in the Sinai were renamed "the Desert Column", commanded by Lieutenant General Sir Philip Chetwode, with Australian, Major General Harry Chauvel, as second-in-command. Chauvel became commander of the Desert Column in late April 1917 when Chetwode replaced the commander of the Eastern Frontier Force following its defeat in the second battle of Gaza.