Victoria Barracks (Sydney)

Victoria Barracks in the Sydney suburb of Paddington is one of the best-known examples of military architecture in Australia. The majority of the barracks was constructed, using locally quarried sandstone, between February 1841 and April 1848 and the outer walls in the ensuing two years. The barracks were occupied by British troops up until 1870 and then taken over by the New South Wales colonial forces. The New South Wales contingent to the Sudan in 1885 was recruited and trained at Victoria Barracks. Following Federation in 1901, Victoria Barracks remained the focal point of military activity in New South Wales and, among other units, housed the various headquarters responsible for administering and co-ordinating it. The first actions taken in New South Wales to recruit forces for service in both world wars occurred at Victoria Barracks. Between 1931 and 1936 the barracks was home to the Royal Military College of Australia and from July 1938 to July 1940 it also housed the Command and Staff School. Victoria Barracks remains in use today and is currently home to both Headquarters Land Command and Headquarters Training Command.