The Sopwith Snipe was designed as a replacement for the Camel. Featuring a more powerful engine and a more robust airframe, the Snipe improved upon all the Camel's best features, such as its rate of climb and manoeuvrability, while addressing some of its handling problems. The Snipe entered service in September 1918 and in the short period before the Armistice earned a reputation as the best allied fighter of the war. It was employed by only three squadrons during that time: 43 and 208 Squadrons RAF and 4 Squadron AFC. Production of the Snipe ceased in 1919, but it remained the RAF's standard fighter until 1926.
|Wing span:||9.14 m|
|Weight (laden):||916 kg|
|Armament:||2 x .303-in Vickers machine-guns|
45 kg of bombs
Search for related collection items