Lone Pine depicts the first diversionary attacks in the advance to Chunuck Bair at dusk on 6 August 1915. The diorama shows men of the 1st Australian Infantry Brigade attacking Turkish trenches. The Australians are wearing white patches to prevent them being fired on by their own men.
Work began on Lone Pine in 1924 and it was first displayed at the Memorial in the Palestine gallery. In 1982 the diorama was relocated to the new Gallipoli gallery, which officially opened in 1984.
Louis McCubbin painted the original figures, background, and modelling. The background was repainted by George Browning, first in 1953–54 and again in 1982 assisted by Rob Slater. Browning was assisted on the second occasion by his wife Joan.