What is it?
A virtual excursion runs like a video conference. During a live, interactive session with educators, students can explore some of the galleries at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra, and see photographs, works of art, and film. They can learn about objects from our collection, and participate in activities during an Australian curriculum-linked program.
What equipment do I need?
A virtual excursion connection uses broadband internet and a computer or smart tablet with camera capabilities, such as a webcam, so that we can see your group. These will need to be connected to equipment like a television screen or interactive whiteboard, so that students can see our presenters. It is recommended that you connect an external microphone, so that we can hear students clearly. Students can also connect if they are learning at home.
To run a virtual excursion, you will need to download software (the Memorial uses Zoom) to connect in a “virtual meeting room”. Our Digital Learning Officer can discuss software requirements with you.
Please contact your IT or departmental support team to determine if there are any firewall restrictions, or if you are unsure what software and hardware your school uses. Security settings need to allow video and audio to be sent and received. We will conduct a short test with you approximately one week before the virtual excursion.
How do I book?
The Memorial can host up to three classes per virtual excursion, to a maximum of 100 students. Schools are limited to two bookings per term.
Forty-five-minute programs run at 9.30am, 10.45am, and 1.30pm on the below dates (AEST/AEDT). There is some flexibility with start times in case of clashes with your school timetable or time zone.
The dates for Term 1, 2021 are now open.
For bookings, future availability and more information, please contact the Digital Learning Officer at VirtualExcursions@awm.gov.au. Please include the following information:
- Name and location of school
- Contact teacher/s
- Email and phone contact for organiser
- Number of classes and numbers of students
- Will classes be connecting from separate classrooms, or joining together in a single space?
- Preferred bookings dates/times:
- Preference 1 (date and time)
- Preference 2 (date and time)
- Preference 3 (date and time)
If your school has not previously participated in a virtual excursion with the Memorial, you will need to conduct a short five minute test approximately one week before the virtual excursion, between the times of 8.45–9.15am, or 3.15–3.45pm (AEST/AEDT). Please indicate your preference for a morning or afternoon test when making a booking.
Terms and conditions
- Cancellations and changes to student numbers need to be made via email at least 5 business days before the virtual excursion.
- If a school does not attend their scheduled test run session, there is no guarantee the virtual excursion can be delivered.
- Virtual excursions cannot be recorded for distribution.
- In the event of technical difficulties which may impact the quality of the program, the Memorial reserves the right to stop the virtual excursion. While all efforts will be made to reschedule, a new program time cannot be guaranteed.
For more digital learning resources, visit