Pozières depicts events from the summer of 1916 when the Australians captured the crest of the Somme-Ancre ridge beyond Pozières. The terrific bombardment laid down by both sides in this fighting pulverised the countryside, obliterating trenches and burying the troops in the debris. In this diorama, the viewer is shown the remnant of an Australian Lewis gun crew upon the crest of the ridge, as it awaits the German counter-strike.
Artists Frank Lynch and Louis McCubbin began work on the Pozières diorama in 1928 and it was completed in 1929. It was not cast until 1936. Louis McCubbin, who by then had become Director of the Art Gallery of South Australia returned to the Memorial and painted the original figures, background and modelling. Pozières was put on display in Aeroplane Hall by 1938. In 1971 the diorama was relocated to the Western Front gallery and the background was repainted by V. Murray Griffin.
Previously referred to as Pozières heights, 1916 the diorama’s present gallery title is Battle of Pozières, 1916.
Made: 1928-1929 in London.
Figures: dry colour on composite lead; background: synthetic polymer paint on fibreglass reinforced polyester resin; modelling: synthetic polymer paint, wire, wood and plaster over wood and wire acquired under commission 1930.