Female Relative Badge
Female Relative Badges were issued to the nearest female relative (usually wives or mothers) of those who engaged in active service overseas during the First and Second World Wars.
Two Female Relative Badges were issued during the First World War. One was issued to the nearest female relative of soldiers, airmen, nurses, and masseuses who left Australia for active service abroad; the other to the nearest female relative of members of the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) who had enlisted for general naval sea service for at least a period of the war, and who performed service outside Australian waters. A bar was suspended below the badge to indicate additional relatives involved in the war effort. The Female Relatives Badge was promulgated under Military Order 280 of 1917 and superseded by Military Order 1818 of 1918.
For active service abroad during the Second World War, a single badge was issued to the nearest female relative of members of the RAN, the Australian Imperial Force (including members of the Australian Army Nursing Service), and the Royal Australian Air Force. Stars displayed on a bar suspended below the badge represented the number of relatives involved in the war effort. Authority for the issue of the badge was given under AIF Order 200,14 February 1941.
- Supplement to The Argus, 11 April 1942
- Collection Search
- Female Relative Badge (Defence Honours and Awards)
- Mothers and Widows Badge
- Registers of issued medals and badges 1939-45 War, 1914-18 War [National Archives of Australia series MT1384/2]
- Includes registers covering the period 1914–1945. Primarily covers medals and badges issued to relatives of Army personnel.
- Registers of badges awarded to World War II service personnel, mothers and widows, and female relatives and exemption badges [National Archives of Australia series A13289]
Registers covering the period 1941–2004. Includes badges issued to relatives of Royal Australian Navy and Royal Australian Air Force personnel.
- Registers for badges for World War I [Royal Australian Navy – RAN] [ National Archives of Australia series A13292]
Registers cover 1919 only.