Australian rear guard positions on hills above Kreikouki
|Title||Australian rear guard positions on hills above Kreikouki|
|Maker||Dargie, William (Artist)|
|Medium||pencil on paper|
|Measurement||Overall: 27.8 cm x 39.8 cm [irreg]; Image: 23 cm x 36.8 cm [irreg]|
Kreikouri is named as "Erithrai" in the Official War History. The covering force at Erithrai on 22nd April 1941 consisted of the 4th New Zealand Infantry Brigades, 2/3rd Australian Field Regiment of Artillery, 2/8th Australian Field Company, Royal Australian Engineers, one company of 2/1st Australian Machine Gun Battalion and an Australian Anti-Tank Battery. The force held the position, as ordered, until the night of 26th April and then withdraw to the evacuation beach.