|Place||Oceania: Australia, Victoria|
|Physical description||Cotton sateen, Gold bullion lace, Oxidised brass, Superfine wool, White metal, Wool twill, Wool worsted|
Lincoln Stuart & Co Ltd
|Place made||Australia: Victoria, Melbourne|
|Date made||c 1900-1901|
Australian Colonial Forces, 1854-1900
Other rank's doublet : Victorian Scottish Regiment
Scarlet superfine wool doublet with Inverness skirts and yellow superfine stand collar and cuffs. Lower edge of collar piped with white wool but collar badges are missing. Scarlet shoulder straps are decorated with voided white metal 'A' and 'VSR' shoulder titles and a single small Victorian Military Forces button. Cuffs and skirts are decorated with three rows of doubled white twisted cotton braid; each row completed with a large oxidixed brass Victorian Military Forces button made by 'LINCOLN STUART & Co. MELBOURNE'. Eight more of the same buttons at front and two at back waist, although the lower button on front is made by 'BRYAN BROTHERS LONDON'. Brass belt hooks at each side of doublet. Left front, skirts and cuffs all piped with white wool. Lower front skirt flaps have welt pockets lined with scarlet superfine wool. Right sleeve has two gold lace chevrons on a scarlet wool ground for the rank of corporal. Body of tunic and collar lined with partially quilted brown cotton sateen; skirts lined with white wool twill. Sleeves lined with fancy blue and red striped white cotton sateen. Neck tab originally stitched to collar lining now missing; neck edge fastened with a single brass hook and eye. Maker's label tag stitched to back neck.
Doublet worn by a corporal in 'A' Company of the Victorian Scottish Regiment, which was formed in August 1898. It was originally comprised of Australians with Scottish origin. They had to provide their own uniforms so the Regiment paraded in their own clothes until the end of 1899 when 100 uniforms became available for purchase. The first doublets were khaki, with the red introduced in 1901 in time for the review held to mark the opening of the first Commonwealth parliament in Melbourne. The doublet was worn with a kilt of Gordon Highlander tartan, the yellow stripes replaced with red. 'A', 'B', 'C' and 'D' companies were located in South Melbourne.