|Place||Oceania: Australia, Victoria|
|Physical description||Celluloid, Chamois, Cotton, Cotton 'Bedford cord', Linen, Metal, Shell, Wool twill|
|Date made||c 1885-1900|
Australian Colonial Forces, 1854-1900
Pantaloons : Victorian Mounted Rifles
Heavy weight khaki cord pantaloons with cross pockets on each front. Metal buttoned waist and fly with waist buttons marked 'BUTTONS LTD B'HAM' and some fly buttons marked 'BEST RING EDGE' and 'OUR OWN MAKE'. Inner calf sections reinforced with chamois, handstitched to cord. Cord section of leg finishes above ankles with a shell buttoned opening at outer edge and is bound with cotton twill tape at the hem. Below this an extra length of wool twill has been added and this too has a buttoned opening. These buttons are a mixture of metal, shell and celluloid. Leg openings and button side of fly are lined with brown glazed linen. Other side of fly lined with white superfine wool. Waist lined with cream cotton twill, glazed linen and calico; pockets lined with neutral plain weave cotton on which is stamped in black ink two opposing broad arrows and 'VMR'. Written in blue ink next to this is 'A.D. 10'.
Brown leather lace-up knee boots would be worn with pantaloons. The Victorian Mounted Rifles were formed in 1885 and forty five detatchments were organised into nine companies. 'A' company was located over a wide area around Melbourne encompassing Geelong in the west, Gisborne in the north and Dromana in the South. By 1903 the VMR together with the Victorian Rangers and Melbourne Cavalry contributed to the regiments of Australian Light Horse in Victoria.