Group portrait of a flight crew of 467 Squadron RAAF. Identified, from left to right: 421483 Flt ...

Accession Number P04905.012
Collection type Photograph
Object type Black & white - Print silver gelatin
Maker Unknown
Date made c 1943
Conflict Second World War, 1939-1945

Item copyright: Copyright expired - public domain

Public Domain Mark This item is in the Public Domain


Group portrait of a flight crew of 467 Squadron RAAF. Identified, from left to right: 421483 Flt Sgt Ronald Gordon 'Duke' Wellington, Mid Upper Gunner; 416679 Flight Sergeant (Flt Sgt) Sydney Edward (Syd) Jackson; Sgt A T McB 'Jock' Proudfoot, RAF, Flight Engineer; 414460 Flt Sgt Roy Edward Brook; 414365 Pilot officer (PO) Geoff J Smith, Captain, Pilot; 409669 Flt Sgt Raymond Ernest 'Ray' Dallwitz, Navigator; and 409579 Flt Sgt John Edmund Francis, Bombardier. This image was probably taken at Bottesford, Leicestershire, where the squadron was based. Post war it was established that the aircraft crashed while taking evasive action from flak off the Dutch coast and the aircraft crashed into the sea 4kms north of Vlissengen. PO Smith, Sgt Proudfoot and Flt Sgt Wellington survived the crash and became Prisoners of War (POWs). The remaining four crew members were all killed. Flt Sgt Dallwitz and Flt Sgt Jackson are buried In the Vlissengen Cemetery, Flushing, Holland, and Flt Sgt Francis and Flt Sgt Brook are listed a missing and their names are commemorated on the Royal Air Forces Memorial to the Missing, Runnymede, Surrey, UK. In a statement PO Smith reported "Aircraft hotly engaged by A/A fire off the Frisian Islands night 3/4th October 1943. While taking avoiding action at low height the aircraft went into the sea. Dallwitz/Francis/Brook/Jackson not seen after hit water. Presumed drowned." In his statement Flt Sgt Wellington reported "Loss of aircraft caused firstly by flak. Being attacked constantly by fighters we flew at low level. We hit the sea. I have no knowledge of anything else as I was knocked unconscious. To my belief four members of the crew were trapped when we struck the water - Dallwitz/Francis/Brook/Jackson. I was released by the Russians on 22 April 1945."