Harrold, Clarence James (Bombardier, b.1895 - d.1956)

Accession Number PR04428
Collection type Private Record
Record type Collection
Measurement Extent: 1 cm; Wallet/s: 1
Object type Diary
Maker Harrold, Clarence James
Place made Belgium, France, United Kingdom: England, Greater London, London, United Kingdom: England, Lancashire, Blackburn
Date made 1917
Access Open
Conflict First World War, 1914-1918
Copying Provisions Copying is permitted for the purposes of research and study, subject to physical condition

Collection relating to the First World War service of 4391 Bombardier Clarence James Harrold, V.1 A Heavy Trench Mortar Battery, 1 Division Artillery, 1917.

Wallet 1 of 1 - Collection consists of a pocket diary Harrold maintained between February and August 1917 during his service on the Western Front in France and Belgium. He writes of coming under artillery fire, of his movements in and out of the frontlines, of attending mass, and of his battery suffering a direct hit from German shellfire on 27 February, which killed three artillerymen and severely wounded two others. He similarly discusses the capture of Bapaume by the 5th Australian Division and writes of inspecting the former German lines near Butte de Warlencourt and Bapaume, noting the ruinous state of the latter and the high numbers of dead bodies in the area.

The diary also records the 1st Division Artillery football championship and Harrold's period of leave in England in May 1917. He writes of his time in Blackburn and Blackpool, remarking on his tours of Clayton, Goodfellow & Co. Ltd and the Blackburn Electric Works to see the making of artillery shells, and writes of enjoying various shows in London, including Harry Lauder's 'Three Cheers', George Robey and Shirley Kellogg in 'Zig-Zag!', and Jose Collins in 'The Maid of the Mountains'.

The final entry in the diary, on 19 September 1917, was made some years later by one of Harrold's children. The entry notes that Harrold received a severe shrapnel wound to his arm on that date. The wound caused his return to Australia, and later discharge, in 1918.