|Object type||Black & white - Print silver gelatin|
|Place made||United Kingdom: England, Greater London, London, United Kingdom: England, Greater London, London|
|Date made||c 1916|
First World War, 1914-1918
Item copyright: Copyright expired - public domain
This item is in the Public Domain
The gates to St Dunstan's Hospital, London. A charitable organisation established in 1914 by ...
The gates to St Dunstan's Hospital, London. A charitable organisation established in 1914 by newspaper proprietor Arthur Pearson (later Sir Arthur Pearson G.B.E), St Dunstan's sought to assist blind ex-servicemen and women in attaining as normal a life as was possible and earn a living. During the First World War, the newly founded rehabilitation and training centre was based at St Dunstan's Lodge, a large residence in Regent's Park that was loaned by the American banker Otto H. Kahn. "St Dunstaners" could train in physiotherapy, shorthand typing, telephone operating, poultry farming, carpentry, basket and mat making and shoe repair. Braille was also taught. Sport was key part of rehabilitation and they enjoyed rowing, swimming, walking races and tandem cycling. Retaining its name, the charity moved to a new location following the war. St Dunstan's continues to support blind and visually impaired ex-Service men and women today.