|Parent Collection ID||RCDIG1070199|
|Collection type||Digitised Collection|
|Title||Volume IV - The Japanese Thrust (1st edition, 1957|
|Maker||Wigmore, Lionel Gage|
|Copyright provision||Copy provided for personal non-commercial use, permission from copyright holder must be sought for commercial use|
Volume IV - The Japanese Thrust (1st edition, 1957
This volume of the army series of the Australian official war history relates mainly to the operations on Malaya in the first ten weeks of the war against Japan. It has, however, an introductory section describing, from an Australian point of view and largely from Australian documents, the steps which led to commencement of war by Japan, and the measures taken to meet the danger.
A comprehensive account is given of the Japanese plan of conquest and its execution, step by step, over the vast area it covered; also of the reactions of the Allied Governments and the endeavours of each of the forces which sought to stem the onslaught.
The volume describes, for the first time in detail, the experiences of the small garrisons that were overrun in New Britain, Ambon and Dutch Timor; and the discussions between London, Washington and Canberra which led up to the refusal of the Australian Government in February 1942 to permit its troops to be sent to Burma.
In a final section the experiences of the widely-scattered groups of prisoners of the Japanese from 1942 to 1945 are described.
- Contents, Illustrations, Maps, Sketch Maps, Preface, and List of events
- Part I - The Road to War
- Part II - South–East Asia Conquered
- Part III - Prisoners of the Japanese
- Appendix 1 – Australians in Mission 204
- Appendix 2 – “ABDACOM” Directive to Supreme Commander, dated 3rd January 1942
- Appendix 3 – General Bennett’s Escape
- Appendix 4 – Ordeal on New Britain
- Appendix 5 – Future Employment of AIF: General Sturdee’s Paper of 15th February 1942
- Appendix 6 – Central Army Records Office and the Prisoners of the Japanese
- Appendix 7 – Books by Australian Prisoners of the Japanese
- Appendix 8 – Abbreviations
- Volume I – To Benghazi (1961 reprint)
- Volume II – Greece, Crete and Syria (1st edition, 1953)
- Volume III – Tobruk and El Alamein (1st edition, 1966)
- Volume IV – The Japanese Thrust (1st edition, 1957)
- Volume V – South–West Pacific Area – First Year: Kokoda to Wau (1st edition, 1959)
- Volume VI – The New Guinea Offensives (1st edition, 1961)
- Volume VII – The Final Campaigns (1st edition, 1963)