|Title||Wreath of red poppies from ceremony to plant Lone Pine tree at Australian War Memorial, 1934|
|Maker||British Legion Poppy Factory|
Wreath of red poppies from ceremony to plant Lone Pine tree at Australian War Memorial, 1934
Commemorative wreath composed of four rows of scarlet poppies made from stiffened cotton fabric. Each poppy has green tipped black fibre stamens with an oxidised white metal button in the centre bearing 'HAIG'S FUND' in raised lettering. The bottom of the wreath bears fourteen additional larger poppies and poppy buds in darker red with green waxed paper leaves. The centre of these poppies also bear Haig's fund buttons. The poppies are secured to a coconut fibre base that is reinforced by short green painted wooden battens. Attached to the centre of the bottom of the wreath, with dark blue silk ribbon, is a visiting card bearing the crest of his Royal Highness, Henry, Duke of Gloucester. The Duke has written 'In memory Henry.' on it. The word 'Lee' has been added after 'Henry' at a later date.
In October 1934 Henry, Duke of Gloucester, visited the construction site of the future Australian War Memorial and planted a seedling Pinus halepensis (Aleppo Pine) derived from a cone sent back to Australia from Lone Pine at Gallipoli in 1915. At the conclusion of the planting he laid this wreath in memory of Australians killed in the First World War.