|Unit||German Air Force|
|Place||Middle East: Ottoman Empire, Lebanon, Rayak|
Albatros Flugzeugwerke GmbH
First World War, 1914-1918
Albatros D.Va Scout Aircraft : Throttle
German aircraft throttle removed from crashed Albatros Scout at Rayak 1918.
The throttle is made completely of metal, the various parts having been fabricated separately and joined together by means of bolts, screws and rivets. The throttle lever's hand grip was operated by closing the hand. This pulled the lock up from the rachet allowing the lever to rotate about the base. When the desired engine revolutions were reached the hand would be opened, releasing the lock that would engage the ratchet piece again locking the revolutions at that setting.
There are three basic parts to the throttle assembly:
1. The base. This comprises the attachment piece, an oval (65 x 30 mm) that had two 5 mm holes for attaching the throtle to the airframe. This piece attaches to a circular shaft approx. 19 mm external diameter. The throttle lever moves around this shaft. The shaft opens up onto a substantial Vee shaped piece with a curved bottom that is attached to the rachet piece by four bolts. The rachett is approx. 150 mm across its base. The rachet is in two pieces allowing the throttle lever to move between the two pieces.
2. The throttle lever. This is formed out of a single piece of metal approx 310 mm overall length. The end that connects tot he engine control bends through two 90 degree angles where it passes over the V piece of the base. It is substantially braced by a welded piece at 90 degrees to the flat part of the throttle lever where thesse bends take place. Where it joins the shaft a hexagonal bolt connects the two pieces. At this end it terminates in a circle of 20 mm diameter with a 5 mm hole in the middle. At its other end, that is the end that is held in the hand, the metal piece widens to about 30 mm from 12 mm at the other end. The end is rounded to avoid any angles that would injure the pilot and has three lightening holes.
3. The lock. The lock comprises a hand piece (approx 80 mm lond and approx 38 mm across the top, with four lightening holes - 7, 9, 10, and 18 mm approx. in diameter) that is attached to the throttle, a curved end that releases the lock from the rachet and a spring that pulls and keeps the lock shut. The hand piece is formed of a bent piece of metal that surrounds the throttle and it is held in place by a rivet and pin. When the hand piece is pulled by closing the hand, it rotates back its curved bottom allowing the lock to release. The lock piece and sprping complete this part of the throttle assembly.
The Albatros D.Va was a single engine biplane scout/fighter aircraft. It was first introduced to the German Air Service in October 1917. By May 1918 there are believed to have been about 928 Albatros DVa's in service on the Western Front. This type of aircraft is known to have been issued to Jastas 4, 5, 6, 10, 26 and 27. It was powered by a Mercedes IIIa, 180 hp engine and carried 2 Spandau light machine guns. The aircraft was used extensively until the superlative Fokker D.VII entered service. This plate was collected from the Palestinian front by Lieutenant Leslie William Sutherland MC DCM MID. Sutherland was born in Murrumbeena, Victoria on 17 December 1892. He enlisted as a Private in 1 Signal Troop, ANZAC Mounted Division on 19 August 1914 but was a Corporal on embarkation the 20 October 1914. Sutherland was promoted to Sergeant on 22 May 1916 and was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for conspicuous gallantry in action on 31 August. He was promoted to Second Lieutenant and transferred to 1 Light Horse Regiment on 6 September and was promoted to Lieutenant on 21 December. On 15 June 1917 Sutherland was transferred from Base Signals Depot to Royal Flying Corps Rafa for duty. He was then attached to 67 Squadron RFC (officially titled No. 1 Squadron AFC from 19 January 1918) on 13 July 1917 before being formally taken on strength on 14 August as a Flying Officer (observer). Sutherland was awarded the Military Cross for gallantry and devotion to duty in the field on 1 December 1917. On 1 November 1917 Sutherland relinquished his appointment as a Flying Officer to be the Squadron’s Recording Officer. He resumed duty as a Flying Officer on 13 July 1918 but trained to become a Flying Officer (Pilot) during the latter half of 1918. Sutherland graduated as a Flying Officer Pilot on 20 January 1919. He returned to Australia on 5 March 1919 aboard the Port Sydney and had his military appointment terminated on 16 June 1919.