Geoghegan, Maurice Frederick (Sergeant, b.1907 - d.?), Peter John Geoghegan (Sergeant, b.1932), and Geoghegan-Gibson, Brett Joseph (Sergeant, b.1973)

Accession Number PR05696
Collection type Private Record
Record type Collection
Measurement Extent: 4.5 cm; Wallet/s: 2
Object type Document, Certificate, Card, Log book
Maker Geoghegan, Maurice Frederick
Geoghegan, Peter John
Geoghegan-Gibson, Brett
Place made Australia: New South Wales, Newcastle, Australia: Queensland, Australia: Victoria, Melbourne, Point Cook, Malaysia, Thailand: Ubon
Date made 1942-1947, 1955-1997, 2002-2003
Access Open
Conflict Period 1950-1959
Period 1970-1979
Period 1960-1969
Second World War, 1939-1945
Indonesian Confrontation, 1962-1966
East Timor, 1999-2013
Copying Provisions Copying permitted subject to physical condition

Collections relating to the Second World War service of VX123234 Sergeant Maurice Frederick Geoghegan, 1942-1947, the Indonesian Confrontation service of A314408 Leading Aircraftman (later Sergeant) Peter John Geoghegan, 1963, and the United Nations Mission of Support to East Timor (UNMISET) service of 1803809 Lance Corporal (later Sergeant) Brett Joseph Geoghegan-Gibson, 2002-2003.

Maurice was almost 35 years old and a finance clerk when he joined the Citizen Military Forces from Victoria in June 1942. Six months later, in January 1943, he enlisted in the Second Australian Imperial Force for active service in the Second World War. By the time he was discharged in February 1947, Maurice was a sergeant serving with 4 Base Supply Depot in Queensland, having spent his period of active service (some 1,688 days) on duty in Australia. The collection includes Maurice's Record of Service book, Demobilization Procedure Book, and Statement of Service certificate issued in 1952. According to his Record of Service book, Maurice was proficient in the use of a rifle, was trained on the Bren light machine gun, and had completed a junior non-commissioned officer course.

Maurice's son, Peter John Geoghegan, joined the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) in December 1957. He mustered as an airframe fitter and, in an RAAF career spanning more than 20 years, served in Malaya and Thailand during the Indonesian Confrontation. The collection includes 5 pay books issued during Peter's service. The pay books reveal that, after initial training, Peter was posted to No. 75 Squadron RAAF from April 1959 and was promoted to leading aircraftman later the same year. In December 1960, Peter deployed to Malaya to serve with No. 3 Squadron in the immediate aftermath of the Malayan Emergency. The collection includes a movement order for Peter to proceed to Malaya, as well as five charge certificates for infringements during Peter's service in Malaya and Thailand in 1961-1962. He was three times charged with being absent without leave, once for being out of bounds, and once for breaking curfew. His punishment totaled 35 days confined to barracks and he was fined one day's pay. While in Thailand, Peter was posted to No. 79 Squadron RAAF at RAAF Base Ubon. The collection includes a 1962 notice from one of the squadron's officers of an all day bus tour to "a beauty spot" near the border with Laos for RAAF personnel at Ubon.

Peter returned to Australia in April 1963, three months after the confrontation between Indonesia and Malaysia had broken out, and was promoted to corporal in February 1966. The collection includes Peter's Glider Inspectors Certificate and member card for the Gliding Club at RAAF Williamtown, both issued in 1965, membership cards for the RAAF Yacht Club and RAAF Rugby League Club at Point Cook, Victoria, in 1967, two passports (issued in 1961 and 1970), and an aircrew notebook from Peter's time working with Iroquois helicopters in the late 1960s following his promotion to sergeant. Peter transitioned to the RAAF Reserve in the 1970s and embarked on a career in civil aircraft maintenance. The collection also includes civil aviation licences, certificates and logbooks spanning from the 1970s to the 1990s as Peter maintained Allison and P&W aircraft in Australia and Papua New Guinea. He gained a licence to pilot light aircraft in the early 1990s and the collection includes his pilot's logbook from the Gympie Air Sports Association, charting more than 88 flying hours between 1990 and 1997.

Peter's stepson, Brett Geoghegan-Gibson, joined the Australian Army in May 1994. He spent the first four years of his military career with the Royal Australian Corps of Transport, before transferring to the Royal Australian Armoured Corps and being posted to the 2nd Cavalry Regiment in 1998. Geoghegan-Gibson deployed to East Timor on Operation Warden as part of the International Force East Timor from November to December 1999. He returned to East Timor (now known as Timor-Leste) from October 2002 as part of Operation Citadel, the Australian contribution to the United Nations Mission of Support to East Timor (UNMISET). The collection includes Brett's UN military driver's licence; he was qualified to drive Jeep 4x4s and 4 ton Armoured Personnel Carriers (APCs). He returned to Australia in January 2003. Geoghegan-Gibson later served in Iraq, Afghanistan, and the Solomon Islands, transitioning to the Australian Army Reserve as a sergeant in 2010.