|Collection type||Private Record|
|Measurement||Extent: 1.5 cm; Wallet/s: 2|
|Object type||Letter, Certificate, Document|
|Place made||Australia: Queensland, Brisbane, Enoggera, France, New Guinea|
|Date made||1915-1919, 1944|
Second World War, 1939-1945
First World War, 1914-1918
Allan, Oswald (Private, b.1894 - d.1978) and Allan, Victor (Private, b.1906 - d.1978)
Collection relating to the First World War service of 473 Private Oswald Allan, 31 Battalion, 1915-1919, and to the Second World War service of his brother N290045 Private Victor Allan, 9 Australian Lines of Communication Stationary Depot, 1944.
Folder 1 of 2 - relates to Oswald Allan. The folder includes three certificates and a shipping license from the Shipping Masters Department in Sydney concerning Allan's service aboard the ships SS Belbourie and SS Murray in 1914. Also included is a letter Allan sent to his sister Ruby from Enoggera army camp in August 1915, and another he wrote to his sisters from France in December 1918. In the first, he writes that 200 light horsemen and 1400 infantryman have recently embarked from the camp, of his boredom with training, and of his wish to sail for the war front soon. The second discusses his recent movements following the armistice, the generosity of the local French people, and of locals returning home following the German occupation of their towns and villages. The folder also includes a signed menu from the Christmas dinner of the 8th Australian Infantry Brigade in 1918, a military allotment form from 1919, and Allan's certificate of discharge from the Australian Imperial Force.
Folder 2 of 2 - relates to Victor Allan. The folder includes two letters Allan wrote to his sister Ruby from New Guinea in 1944. He discusses family and friends, of receiving cake from home, the lack of bananas and meagre supper he has received lately, and mentions recent entertainment for the soldiers in New Guinea, including a showing of the film "Three Girls About Town". The collection also includes a movement order for Allan's return to Townsville for discharge in 1944.