Cameron, Stuart Douglas (Major, b.1947 - d.1993)

Accession Number PR00254
Collection type Private Record
Record type Collection
Measurement Extent: 1 cm; Wallet/s: 1
Object type Card, Letter, Document
Maker Cameron, Stuart Douglas
Place made Australia, Iran
Date made 1989-1990
Access Open
Related File This file can be copied or viewed via the Memorial’s Reading Room. AWM371 93/0265
Conflict Period 1990-1999
Period 1980-1989
United Nations Iran-Iraq Military Observer Group (UNIIMOG) 1988 - 1991
Copying Provisions Copyright restrictions apply. Only personal, non-commercial, research and study use permitted. Permission of copyright holder required for any commercial use and/or reproduction.

Collection relating to the United Nations Iran-Iraq Military Observer Group (UNIIMOG) service of Major Stuart Douglas Cameron, Tehran, 1989-1990.

Wallet 1 of 1 - Consists of two United Nations identification cards, newspaper clippings, a magazine, cartoons, and documents associated with Cameron's service in Tehran as part of UNIIMOG from October 1989 to April 1990. The collection includes a newspaper clipping on the deployment of Cameron and 14 others as part of the third Australian contingent to UNIIMOG under Lieutenant Colonel Gary Stone, a copy of Australian Army Magazine from 1989 featuring an article on the third Australian contingent's service with UNIIMOG, a 13-page magazine cartoon comic entitled "UNMO Harald in UNIIMOG", and a letter from Cameron to his family dated March 1990. Cameron recounts his service with UNIIMOG, his experiences, the tensions between the Iraqis and Iranians, a period of leave to Turkey and visiting Gallipoli, and of the flight route he will take to get home. The collection also includes a newspaper clipping on Cameron and his time in Iran following his return to Australia.

History / Summary

Major Stuart Cameron retired from the Australian Army in September 1992 and joined Care Australia. He was sent to northern Iraq to assist with the Kurdish reintegration program. Cameron was shot and killed there on 7 January 1993.