|Object type||Communications equipment|
|Location||Main Bld: World War 2 Gallery: Gallery 1 - Mediterranean: Crete|
|Date made||c 1943|
Second World War, 1939-1945
German Enigma Machine
Encryption machine. Consists of a device with four main components. A switchboard board (similar to a telephone switchboard), a typewriter keyboard, a light board, and three rotors. The device is housed within an oak box, hinged at the rear, with a top opening lid and a drop down front leaf.
These machines were used by the German armed forces to encrypt messages, before the messages were relayed to a recipient by morse code. The Memorial's machine was donated by the former Defence Signals Directorate. Its previous provenance is presently unknown.