|Collection type||Published Collection|
|Measurement||9 folders, 25 albums|
|Object type||Cigarette/trade card|
Second World War, 1939-1945
South Africa, 1899-1902 (Boer War)
First World War, 1914-1918
|Copying Provisions||Copying permitted subject to physical condition|
Cigarette and Trade Card Collection
The cigarette and trade card collection consists of series of cards which were issued by cigarette companies, or other companies such as confectionery firms, cereal manufacturers and clothes companies. Beginning with advertisement cards, they soon progressed to numbered series (ranging from 10 to 100 cards) on particular themes.
Themes include scenes from war/war incidents, crests and badges, officers and VC winners, medals, aircraft, warships, uniforms and modern war weapons. Non-conflict subjects include cars, sports, butterflies, birds and flags.
The collection is printed on either paper card, or on silk (sometimes paper backed). Cards are stored by series in both folders and albums. The albums include 16 German albums, mainly on the history of the German armies, a bound volume 'Army Corps & Division Signals 1914-18', and several collector's albums.
The average size of a card is 360mm x 640mm, however this can range up to the size of a playing card. The cards are British, Australian, German or American. With some of the series there is no indication of the country of origin. The collection dates from the early 1900s to a swap card collection from Golden Fleece dealing with Military uniforms (Australian), c1970s or 1980s. However, the collection mainly holds subject matter relating to World War I.
- Cigarette card of Private W. Jackson, V.C.
- 160 - Notrufwagon
- 80 - Mercedes-Benz "Stuttgart 200"
- The Australians Landing at Gallipoli
- The windmill Fight at Arras
- 25 - British Dirigible Clement Bayard
- Ivy Close
- Gladys Cooper
- Britiain's Part in the War: No. 8 A Tribute to the Women Workers
- Britain's Part in the War: No. 11 A Tribute to the Mine Sweepers and R.N.R. Work
- Britain's Part in the War: No. 14 A Tribute to the Royal Flying Corps
- Adolf Hitler une sein weg zu Grossdeutschland: 148 Kundgebung im Saarland bei Plassregen
- Adolf Hitler une sein weg zu Grossdeutschland: 171 Demonstration bei der Wiener oper am Nachmittag des 11 Marz 1938
- Adolf Hitler une sein weg zu Grossdeutschland: 153 Reichsparteitag 1935 Dem Fuhrer wird das Reichsschwert uberreicht
- Cigarette card of Corporal A Burton VC
- Cigarette card of Private T Cook VC
- Cigarette card of Corporal J Hamilton VC
- Cigarette card of Captain F McNamara VC
- Cigarette card of Lt-Col L C Maygar VC
- Cigarette card of Private L Keysor VC
- Cigarette card of Lt. R T V Moon VC
- Cigarette card of Private M O'Meara VC
- Cigarette card of Capt. A J Shout VC MC
- Cigarette card of Capt. W J Symons VC
- Cigarette card of Major F H Tubb VC
- Cigarette card of Captain A Jacka, VC MC
- Cigarette card of Major Murray, VC DCM
- Cigarette card of Capt H Throssell, VC
- Cigarette card of Lieutenant W Dunstan VC