Sergeant Stanley Robert McDougall

Service number 4061
Ranks Held Private, Sergeant
Birth Date 1890-07-23
Birth Place Australia: Tasmania, Recherche
Death Date 1968-07-07
Death Place Australia: Tasmania, Hobart
Final Rank Sergeant
Service Australian Imperial Force
  • 47th Australian Infantry Battalion
  • 48th Australian Infantry Battalion
Conflict/Operation First World War, 1914-1918
Gazettes Published in London Gazette in 1918-07-16
Published in London Gazette in 1918-05-03
Published in Commonwealth Gazette in 1918-09-24
Published in Commonwealth Gazette in 1918-11-27

Stan McDougall (1889-1968) was born in Tasmania, and became a blacksmith. He enlisted in August 1915 and fought at Pozières, Messines and Broodseinde. He was promoted to sergeant in January 1918.

At Dernancourt, when he saw the enemy knock out a Lewis gun position, he attacked two German machine-gun teams, killing their crews by "hosing" them with the Lewis. He then attacked a second wave of Germans, burning his hands on the hot barrel casing of his gun. When a German officer aimed his pistol at some Australians, McDougall killed him with a rifle and bayonet. Twenty-two Germans were killed and 30 were captured, largely as the result of McDougall's actions. Eight days later, at the same place, McDougall won the Military Medal, taking over the platoon when his commander was killed.

After the war McDougall became an officer with the Tasmanian Forestry Department, and later, while inspector-in-charge of forests in north-east Tasmania, performed outstanding work during bushfire periods. He died at Scottsdale in 1968



Date of birth 23 July 1890
Date and unit at enlistment (ORs) 30 August 1915 15 Battalion, AIF.
Date of embarkation 24 November 1915
Other units 1916-03 47 Battalion, AIF.
Date promoted 1917-11 Promoted to Sergeant.
Date of honour or award 27 March 1918 Awarded Victoria Cross for most conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty when the enemy attacked our line and his first wave succeeded in gaining an entry. Sergeant McDougall, who was at a post in a flank company, realised the situation and at once charged the enemy's second wave single-handed with rifle and bayonet, killing seven and capturing a machine-gun which they had. This he turned on to them, firing from the hip, causing many casualties and routing that wave. He then turned his attention on those who had entered, until his ammunition ran out, all the time firing at close quarters, when he seized a bayonet and charged again, killing three men and an enemy officer, who was just about to kill one of our officers. He used a Lewis gun on the enemy, killing many and enabling us to capture thirty-three prisoners. The prompt action of this non-commissioned officer saved the line and enabled the enemy's advance to be stopped.
Date of recommendation honour or award 29 March 1918
Date of honour or award 05 April 1918 Awarded Military Medal when during another heavy attack he was able to get a gun to an exposed position and bring deadly fire into the attacking Germans at close quarters from a flank. Enemy fire struck the gun and disabled it, but McDougall crawled about 300 metres to obtain another gun and continued to engage the enemy. During an Australian counter-attack which followed, McDougall?s platoon commander was killed and he commanded the platoon for the remainder of the battle.
Date of recommendation honour or award 08 April 1918
Date returned to Australia 24 August 1918
Date of death 07 July 1968