William Jamieson was born at Gisborne, New Zealand, on 13 October 1894 to parents William Jamieson and Elizabeth Jamieson (née Traill?).
Jamieson enlisted in the Royal Australian Garrison Artillery (RAGA) at Sydney on 6 June 1913 and was transferred to No. 9 Company, Thursday Island, in October 1913. Jamieson’s occupation is given in his service record as ironmonger and also clerk.
Jamieson enlisted in the Australian Imperial Force at Brisbane on 7 June 1915 and was attached to the Siege Artillery Brigade, 36th Heavy Artillery Group, as a gunner. He embarked from Melbourne aboard the troopship Orsova on 17 July 1915. During the voyage a concert was held on 30 July at which Jamieson sang “The Rosary”.
Due to a heart condition, diagnosed after he arrived in England, Jamieson was declared medically unfit for active service for 12 months in February 1916. Jamieson was assessed as capable of light duties and was appointed Assistant to the Honorary Secretary of the Hospitality Committee of the Australian War Contingent Association.
On 23 March 1917, Jamieson was attached for duty to No. 1 Command Depot, Perham Downs, England. Following a further medical review in May 1917, Jamieson was declared medically unfit for service at home or abroad and was discharged on 23 May 1917. The discharge was effective in England, at Jamieson’s request, as his wife was in England at the time.
Jamieson had married Nellie Williamson in London in 1916; the couple had a son, Stewart Hugh, born at Lambeth, England, on 10 January 1920. Jamieson, with his wife and their son, embarked from London for Australia aboard the troopship Ceramic on 12 March 1920. As he had been discharged, he paid the passage for himself and his family. They arrived in Australia in late April 1920.
Following his discharge, Jamieson lived in the Sydney suburbs of Glebe and later Mosman. At the time of his death, he resided in Balgowlah. On 3 December 1923, Jamieson re-enlisted in the RAGA on the War Disability Supernumerary List. He served until 30 June 1930, when he was again discharged on medical grounds. In 1940, He was re-enlisted to complete permanent force establishments and appointed a warrant officer. He was commissioned as a captain and in December 1943, was placed on the retired list.
Jamieson’s son, Stewart, enlisted in the Royal Australian Air Force at Sydney on 6 May 1941. He was posted to Headquarters North Command, Northern Territory, with the rank of sergeant. Stewart died on 29 October 1944.
In 1969 Jamieson was hospitalised to have a leg amputated.
William Jamieson died at Balgowlah, New South Wales, on 29 March 1974 at the age of 79. Nellie Jamieson died in November 1976.