Leconfield airfield, in Yorkshire in England's north east, was opened as a Royal Air Force (RAF) bomber station in December 1936. It operated as such until it was taken over by Fighter Command in September 1939 to provide air cover over the Humber River and the approaches to the industrial cities of the English Midlands. The airfield was returned to Bomber Command in October 1941. In May 1945, Transport Command took over operation of the airfield. Following the war, Leconfield remained an operational RAF station until January 1977 when it was taken over by the British Army.