|Collection type||Digitised Collection|
|Physical description||8 Image/s captured|
|Place made||At sea: Vessel, At sea (HMAS Sydney), Australia: Victoria, Melbourne, Australia: Western Australia, Fremantle, Australia: Western Australia, Perth, Bushmead|
First World War, 1914-1918
|Copying Provisions||Attached digital images are protected by copyright and are provided here for research and study purposes. For further use, please contact the Memorial.|
Letters relating to William Smith Rhoades, 1911-1945
< Previous Record | Next Record >
Letters relating to the First World War service of Chief Petty Officer William Smith Rhoades, Royal Australian Navy. Rhoades served on HMAS Sydney during the war this file contains letters written by Rhoades and by others pertaining to his service with the Royal Australian Navy. They include letters regarding leave and pay, a letter recommending Rhoades for the role of gunnery instructor with the Royal Australian Navy Training Service, and letters documenting Rhoades' design of a projectile for attacking submarines, which was subsequently adopted in a modified form by the British Admiralty.
This file contains:
Typescript letter from [Sir George Foster] Pearce, [Minister for Defence], to Prime Minister [Andrew Fisher], Melbourne, 28 November 1911;
Typescript letter from William Smith Rhoades to the commanding officer of H.M.A.S. Sydney, [Captain John Saumarez Dumaresq], 23 April 1917;
Typescript letter from Captain [John Saumarez] Dumaresq, H.M.A.S. Sydney, to the Naval Representative, London, 14 July 1917;
Letter from Vice Admiral [William] Pakenham, Vice Admiral Commanding Battle Cruiser Force, to Rear Admiral [Cecil Foley Lambert], Rear Admiral Commanding 2nd Light Cruiser Squadron, 3 August 1917;
Typescript copy of letter from Commander, District Naval Officer, [Western Australia], to [Commanding Instructor William Smith] Rhoades, [Royal Australian Navy], East Fremantle, 21 July 1930;
Typescript letter from William Smith Rhoades, Bushmead, to the Commissioner of the Commonwealth Public Service, Canberra, 6 November 1945.