Advice to Applicants
Thank you for the interest you have shown in a vacancy at the Australian War Memorial. We have compiled the following information to assist you with your application. Please read it carefully.
Employment conditions are in accordance with the Memorial’s Teamwork Agreement. To be eligible for ongoing or non-ongoing employment, Australian citizenship is required.
The Memorial is committed to employment equity. Our selection process aims to ensure that selections for engagement, promotion or movement are fair and equitable and made without discrimination on the grounds of gender, race, ethnicity, or disability.
Before you write your application
Please read the position documentation carefully. The position description describes the tasks and functions associated with the vacancy as well as listing the abilities and experience the selection committee will be seeking in the successful applicant. Should you have any questions about the job or the functional area in which it is located, please phone the nominated Contact Officer for the position.
The Director of the Australian War Memorial has set minimum qualification requirements for some jobs at the Memorial. These are shown on the qualifications requirements. Should you have any questions about qualification requirements, please phone the nominated Contact Officer for the position.
Please note: Attach copies of your qualifications, do not send originals.
How to apply
Writing your application
When requested by the Selection Advisory Committee (SAC), applications must include the following to ensure the committee have sufficient information to assess your claims.
- Application form completed online to assist with the processing of your application. Information provided will be treated confidentially and may be used for statistical purposes
- Statement addressing the Selection Criteria (Please refer to the position documentation for specific requirements)
- CV (includes personal details and work history)
- Referees' reports - 'Advice to referees page' (this is only required if specifically requested in the selection documentation)
Please note: Your CV and response to the selection criteria should be prepared prior to commencing your application form, there is no ability to save your application and revisit, it must be completed in one session.
Writing to Memorial Selection Criteria
You will be required to submit a formal response to the selection criteria, keeping in mind the expectations of the job as outlined in the position documentation. The following points will assist you in preparing this statement.
- Use the selection criteria as headings
- Relate your skills and abilities to each of the selection criteria
- Don’t just make claims – you need to demonstrate clearly that you possess the required skills, knowledge, experience and qualifications to meet the selection criteria.
- Use examples (which can be verified by a referee) of achievements indicating how you have used your skills. Remember we are interested in your involvement in specific situations so use ‘I’ instead of ‘we’
- Include only relevant information (preferably examples from the last 2-3 years), outlining your achievements against that particular capability. Where possible include an indicator of success or the result
- Be concise.
The position documentation details the requirements relating to referees. If you are required to submit a referee report, ideally one of the referees should be your immediate supervisor, who can provide comments on your work performance and an assessment of you in terms of the capabilities. Written references may be requested to be brought to the interview, but you will be advised if this is a requirement. In writing their reports, referees should follow the Advice for Referees. Referees must discuss the content of any report with the applicant. Both the referee and applicant are required to sign the report.
The Selection Advisory Committee is aware that it is not always possible for applicants employed in the private sector or outside this organisation to submit a referee’s report from their current supervisor with their application. However, any documentation supporting the applicant’s claims which may assist in the shortlisting process should be submitted. Please note that nominated referees will be contacted before an offer can be made. If you have been shortlisted for interview or further assessment and you have not nominated your immediate supervisor, you may be asked to provide an explanation. Please note the selection panel can seek comments from your immediate supervisor in order to assess your claims.
Lodging your application
Please submit your application via our online application form.
Please note: there is no ability to save your application and revisit, it must be completed in one session.
It is your responsibility to ensure that your application is submitted by the closing date and time specified in the advertisement. The Memorial does not usually accept late applications unless candidates have been previously granted an extension by the contact officer.
Where possible we aim to have recruitment processes completed within 2 months from the date of advertising.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted regarding the next phase in the selection process, where possible at least one week’s notice will be given before interview. To those applicants who are not shortlisted, we extend our thanks for considering the Memorial as a potential employer.
Please note if you are requested to attend an interview at the Memorial, you will be required to do so at your own expense.
The Australian War Memorial is an Equal Opportunity Employer