|Unit||New South Wales Military Forces|
|Object type||Black & white - Print other than silver gelatin|
Boake, Barcroft Capel
|Place made||Australia: New South Wales, Sydney|
|Date made||c 1890|
Item copyright: Copyright expired - public domain
This item is in the Public Domain
'New South Wales Contingent. Soudan Campaign. 1885'. A photograph montage of 360 portraits of ...
'New South Wales Contingent. Soudan Campaign. 1885'. A photograph montage of 360 portraits of some of the soldiers and Non-Commissioned Officers arranged in the form of an oval wreath surround portrait photographs of twenty five of the contingent's officers. The officers, from left to right, top row: The Reverend Father C. F. P. Collingridge, Roman Catholic Chaplain; Captain (Capt) T. S. Parrott, Engineering Officer; Surgeon-Major W. D. C. Williams, Principal Medical Officer of the Ambulance Corps; Lieutenant (Lt) R. A. Natham, Artillery; Major (Maj) J. T. Blanchard, Paymaster and Commissariat Officer; The Reverend H. J. Rose Anglican Chaplain. Second row: Lt J. R. MacDonald, B Company, Infantry; Lt R. F. Wrench, C Company, Infantry; Capt C. H. F. H. Bartlett, Adjutant, Infantry; Lt H. P. Airey, Aide-de-Camp to Major General Lyon-Fremantle; Capt U. G. D. Granville, Surgeon, Ambulance Corps; Lt M. J. Keating, B Company, Infantry. Third Row: Lt C. R. McK. Burnside, C Company, Infantry; Capt W. P. Mulholland, B Company, Infantry; Maj H. D. MacKenzie, Adjutant of Brigade and Staff Officer of Artillery; central portrait, Major General (served as Colonel) J. S. Richardson, CB, commanding the contingent; Lieutenant Colonel (Lt Col)(served as Maj) G. J. Airey, Artillery; Capt (served as Lt) C. W. P. Bouverie, Artillery; Lt C. B. Airey, A Company, Infantry. Fourth and bottom row: Lt R. H, Owen, A Company, Infantry; Capt L. H. Kyngdon, D Company Commander; Lt Col F. Wells, Commanding Officer, Infantry; Lt Col W. W. Spalding, CMG, Battery Commander, Artillery; Maj G. C. Norris, A Company Commander, Infantry; Maj J. Jekyll, C Company Commander, Infantry. In the corners are four photographs taken during the march to, and departure from, Circluar Quay on Tuesday 3 March 1885. This photograph is copied from a large original banner which probably measured approximately 1700mm x 1200mm. A similar banner which was presented to Queen Victoria, and subsequently returned to Australian in 1943, is in the collection of the Australian War Memorial. The montage was made by the well known Sydney photographer B. C. Boake.