|Measurement||Overall: 24.5 x 34.2 cm|
|Physical description||oil on hardboard|
Anderson, William Nicholls
|Place made||Australia: Victoria, Melbourne|
|Date made||c 1896-1901|
Item copyright: Copyright expired - public domain
This item is in the Public Domain
HMVS Lady Loch
A rare image of an auxiliary unit of the colonial navy of Victoria depicted at a port in Melbourne. The Steamship Lady Loch was built for the Victorian Government as a customs cruiser and lighthouse tender; it was launched in 1886, well before the establishment of the Commonwealth Naval Forces in 1901. The ship was named after Lady Elizabeth Loch, wife of Sir Henry Loch, Governor of Victoria from 1884 -1889.
William Nicholls Anderson (1873 -1927) has combined a realistic depiction of the Lady Loch with an evocative rendering of the bay. Anderson's landscapes were influenced by the impressionistic style of the Heidelberg School of Painters.