Identity card and driver's permit : Police Monitor D J Quigley, UNCIVPOL

Place Asia: East Timor
Accession Number REL31471
Collection type Heraldry
Object type Personal Equipment
Physical description Metal, Plastic
Maker United Nations Transitional Administration in East Timor (UNTAET)
Place made East Timor: Dili
Date made 30 June 2000
Conflict East Timor, 1999-2013

White plastic double sided identity card and driver's permit with a metal attachment clip. The front includes an image of the bearer and their details. Also includes the expiry date of the card. The identity card has a swipe function as is indicated by the black swipe bar on the reverse of the card. Driver's permit specifications are printed in green beside this together with the bearer's signature.

Order a copy
History / Summary

Sergeant Delia 'Dee' Josephine Quigley served with the Australian Federal Police (AFP) on peacekeeping missions in Haiti, East Timor and Cyprus between 1994 and 2000. Quigley was born in Victoria in 1961 and worked in communications for the RAAF and Army Reserve before joining the AFP in 1983. In October 1994 she was one of three women selected in a contingent of 30 police to become part of an International Police Monitoring Team in Haiti. The mission was the first where armed Australian Police served overseas.

The contingent arrived in the province of Jeremie on 23 November and remained there until March, 1995. Their duties included monitoring the Haitian police, investigating human rights breaches and training Haitian police officers. They also educated schools and locals on the role of the International Police Monitors, the charter of human rights and the role the United Nations would play when they arrived in March.

In 1999 Quigley trained as a reserve for the Australian contingent to East Timor, which was part of the UN mission which oversaw the ballot for independence. She finally saw service with the 2nd contingent and arrived in Darwin in September to begin a gradual personnel changeover. At this time UN staff members were being evacuated because of dangerous conditions in East Timor and it was some weeks before the 2nd contingent arrived in Dili. Their duties included patrols, crowd control and investigations. Police were also deployed into regional areas of East Timor as they were declared safe. Quigley also assisted in the development of an intelligence unit and a suspect person's database. She returned to Australia in December 1999 and left for Cyprus in February 2000 for nine months with the 63rd Cyprus contingent. There she acted as a Humanitarian Officer and was responsible for arranging medical transfers, transfers for family visits and meetings, pharmaceutical runs and humanitarian convoys as well as liaising with UN and government agencies.