Trench art ashtray : Captain R W McGlynn 2/4 Armoured Regiment

Accession Number REL39095
Collection type Heraldry
Object type Trench Art
Physical description Brass
Maker Unknown
Date made c 1942
Conflict Second World War, 1939-1945

Trench art ashtray made from the base of a shell fired during the battle of Tel El Eisa in Egypt. The ashtray has had 3 grooves cut in to rest cigarettes on, but the rest plates are missing. There is evidence of soldering to show that these were attached. On the side of the shell case a polished brass Rising Sun collar badge has been soldered on for decoration. There is also evidence of something having been added to the fuse stem, but the addition is missing. On the base of the shell are the maker's markings. Near the outside of the base is an oval stamp containing a crown over the letters 'AP'. Further around the edge is stamped a square with the letters 'GS' over the number '11'. Above this is stamped the date '10-9-42'. Stamped in various locations are the numbers '918' and '21' and the letters 'MB'. There is also the El Alamein battle location 'TELL EL EISA' [sic] stamped on the base. 'MOD935 / 5' has been impressed on the baseplate .

History / Summary

Associated with the service of NX203390 Captain Ronald William McGlynn, who was born on 28 October 1915 in Sydney, NSW. McGlynn was studying medicine at Sydney University when the Second World War began. He enlisted in the Second AIF on 4 September 1941 at the Sydney University recruiting station, but his enlistment was deferred until after his studies were completed. On 10 August 1944, McGlynn was called up for service as a captain in the Australian Army Medical Corps (AAMC). He was initially posted to the AAMC training battalion before being posted to 54 Australian Camp Hospital, based at Wagga Wagga, NSW. On 2 February 1945, McGlynn was appointed Regimental Medical Officer for 2/4 Armoured Regiment. He embarked from Townsville on 29 March, disembarking in Lae on 2 April. He joined his unit in the field three days later. On 10 April, McGlynn was evacuated to 3 Casualty Clearing Station with a peptic ulcer. He was transferred to 2/7 Australian General Hospital in Lae on 20 April before being evacuated by air to 2/14 Australian General Hospital in Townsville arriving on 24 April. Upon his recovery, McGlynn was posted to 2 Australian Blood and Serum unit located in the Sydney Hospital. He was later admitted to 113 (Concord) Military Hospital where he was treated for a duodenal ulcer. McGlynn was discharged from hospital on 10 January 1946 and was discharged from his military service on 21 January 1946.