|Date made||c 1939|
Second World War, 1939-1945
Czechoslovak War Cross 1939 : Sergeant Frantisek (Frank) Kocyan, 2nd Czechoslovak Paradesant Brigade (1944)
Bronze Czechoslovak War Cross 1939 in bronze finish and dye-struck. Obverse has a crested shield in the centre showing the Czech double-tailed rampant lion. Crossed swords point up through angles. Reverse has the the shield with 1,9,3,9 in the corners and armorial roundals on each of the four arms. Gilt leaf spray on ribbon. Unnamed as issued.
Medal awarded to Frank Kocyan who was born on 14 October 1923 at Cesky Tesin, Czechoslovakia, where his parents had a farm. Kocyan was educated here then worked on the family farm until the occupation of Czechoslovakia by the Germans in 1939. Sent to Germany as a forced labourer, he escaped back home but was rearrested and sent to the German Eastern Front as a labourer digging trenches. Kocyan succeeded in crossing to the Russian lines and was taken to the Training Centre in Buzuluk before being transferred to the Czechoslovak forces in exile. After 8 months of training with the 2nd Czechoslovak Parachute Battalion under the command of General Prikryl (recently arrived from England) they fought their first battle against German forces at Dukla, on the border with Poland, in September 1944, suffering significant losses.
Pulled from the fighting, the Battalion was parachuted behind enemy lines near Banska Bystrica in Slovakia to participate in the National Revolt. The Germans invaded and crushed the Revolt, capturing thousands of fighters. However many rebels and survivors of the battalion retreated to the mountains where they endured hunger, extreme cold and shortage of arms and ammunition in the winter of 1944-45. Kocyan’s battalion were still in action when the German Army retreated before the advancing Soviets in 1945.
In 1950 he migrated to Australia where he met Jozefa, whom he married in 1953.
- Commemorative Medal for the Czech Army Abroad : Sergeant Frantisek (Frank) Kocyan, 2nd Czechoslovak Paradesant Brigade (1944)
- Czech 60th anniversary medal of the end of the Second World War : Frantisec (Frank) Kocyan
- Czech Medal for Gallantry : Sergeant Frantisek (Frank) Kocyan, 2nd Czechoslovak Paradesant Brigade
- Polish Cross of September Campaign 1939 : Sergeant Frantisek (Frank) Kocyan
- Czech Military Medal for Merit 1st Grade : Frantisek (Frank) Kocyan, 2nd Czechoslovak Paradesant Brigade
- 50th Anniversary of Slovak National Uprising 1944-1994 commemorative medal : Frantisek (Frank) Kocyan
- Medal ribbon : Sergeant Frantisek (Frank) Kocyan, 2nd Czechoslovak Paradesant Brigade (1944)