|Collection type||Official Record|
|Object type||Official Record|
Second World War, 1939-1945
Item copyright: Copyright expired - public domain
This item is in the Public Domain
|Copying Provisions||Copy provided for personal non-commercial use, permission from copyright holder must be sought for commercial use|
2nd AIF (Australian Imperial Force) and CMF (Citizen Military Forces) unit war diaries, 1939-45 War
This series comprises the War Diaries created by the units of the 2nd Australian Imperial Force (AIF) and Citizen Military Forces (CMF) during the Second World War. While on active service, Army headquarters, formations and units were required to keep unit war diaries recording their daily activities. These diaries were arranged by unit and covered the period of one month at a time.
The content of the war diaries generally consist of war diary or intelligence summary sheets located at the beginning of each diary which record the date of each entry, the unit's location, a summary of events and any remarks or references to appendices. The appendices, which make up the larger part of each diary, may include orders, despatches, instructions, reports, telegrams, and decisions taken; daily situation reports; staff duties; accounts of operations; changes in establishment or strength; and a summary of information received.
The content of individual war diaries depends on the unit concerned and their functions and daily activities. Overall, however, the main factor controlling the contents and quality of contents of a particular diary remains the skill, dedication, and enthusiasm of the officer who was in charge of compiling it.
More information can be found in the introduction to the series.
- AWM52 Class 1 - Headquarters Units
- AWM 54 1010/3/111 Part 2 - [War Crimes and Trials - Transcripts of Evidence:] Records of Proceedings of an Australian Military Court held at Hong Kong 5/1/1948. Trial of Tahara Susumu (March-May 1948)
- AWM52 Class 4 - Artillery
- AWM52 Class 8 - Infantry
- AWM52 Class 14 - Australian Electrical & Mechanical Engineers
- AWM52 Class 21 - Graves
- AWM52 Class 25 - Miscellaneous - (includes North Australia Observer Unit, Independent Companies, Concert Parties and POW contact units)
- AWM52 Class 40 - Australian Army Service Corps