|Place||Oceania: Australia, New South Wales|
|Physical description||Brass, Celluloid, Cotton, Silk, Superfine wool, White metal, Wool twill, Wool worsted|
Parramatta Woollen Mills NSW
Parramatta Woollen Mills NSW
|Place made||Australia, Australia: New South Wales, Sydney, Parramatta|
|Date made||c 1890-1895|
Australian Colonial Forces, 1854-1900
Trooper's full dress tunic : New South Wales Lancers
Brown drab wool twill tunic with scarlet superfine stand collar, pointed cuffs and plastron. The collar is plain with no collar badges. Square red wool braid shoulder straps each with single small silver coloured New South Wales Military Forces button. Outer seam of sleeves have narrow welt of scarlet superfine piping. The tunic is double breasted with seven silver coloured Military Forces buttons on the left front of the scarlet plastron and seven on the right front of the tunic. Buttons made by 'W. JONES & Co LONDON' and 'DAVID JONES & Co SYDNEY'. Below the last button on the tunic is a small brown celluloid button at the waist. Tunic also fastens on the inside with metal hooks and eyes. The right front of the tunic has an extra front skirt section which fastens to a brass button on the inside left front waist. Sewn to the left front of the plastron are two silk medal ribbons for the Egypt Medal 1882-1889 and the Khedive Star 1884-1886. Skirt rounded at front and edged with scarlet piping that extends around the hem and up a partially closed centre back vent. At the back of the tunic, the piping on the sleeves extends into the back side panels and ends at the back waist with large Military Forces buttons. Below these buttons is a pleat, sewn closed at the hem and further towards the sides of the back skirts, at each side, is a three-pointed flap piped in scarlet and decorated with three large Military Forces buttons. Tunic and collar fully lined, except for a small section of the back skirt, with a brown sateen of wool and cotton mixture, lightly padded at the chest and shoulder blades. Sleeves lined with cream cotton sateen. 'Daniels' is written in pencil on lining, towards right cuff. Sewn to the collar lining are three small fabric covered buttons for the attachment of an inner collar. At the back neck is an embroidered maker's label. Neck fastens with two metal hooks and eyes across a neck tab of brown lining fabric.
This brownish red wool tunic with red plastron was introduced in late 1889 to replace a blue tunic with red facing of the same pattern as the 5th Royal Irish Lancers. Although Lord Carrington gave approval for the use of the Elephant's head badge to be used as the regimental badge, from 1890, it was possibly not used as a collar badge until 1895. The Lancers were first raised in New South Wales as a new force of cavalry in 1885 and troops were raised in Sydney and country districts. In 1894 the New South Wales Lancer Regiment was formed which encompassed seven squadrons of Lancers. A detachment of Lancers was sent to England in 1897 to celebrate the Queen's diamond jubilee and later, squadrons served at the Boer War. After Federation they were re-designated 1st Australian Light Horse (New South Wales Lancers) and 4th Light Horse. The full dress uniform of this pattern was retaimned for some years.