|Location||Main Bld: Hall of Valour: Main Hall: Vietnam|
|Place made||United Kingdom|
|Date made||c 1960|
Malayan Emergency, 1948-1960
General Service Medal 1918-62: Warrant Officer 2 K A Wheatley, 3 Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment
General Service Medal 1918-62 (EIIR) with MALAYA clasp. Impressed around edge with recipient's details.
Awarded to Kevin Arthur 'Dasher' Wheatley for his service in Malaya. Wheatley was born at Surry hills in Sydney on 13 March 1937. The son of Raymond George and Ivy Sarah Ann (nee Newman) Wheatley, he was educated at Maroubra Junction Junior Technical School. After leaving school he worked a number of labouring jobs around Sydney and married Edna Eileen Davis on 20 July 1954.
Wheatley enlisted in the Australian Regular Army on 12 June 1956 and joined 4 Battalion, Royal Australia Regiment (4RAR), following training, later that year. In March 1957 he transferred to 3RAR where he saw active service in Malaya from September 1957 to July 1959. In August 1959 he transferred to 2RAR and in mid 1961 to 1RAR. He was promoted to Sergeant in January 1964 and in August to Warrant Officer Class II. He was posted to the Australian Army Training Team Vietnam (AATTV), in Vietnam on 16 March 1965. For his actions in which he was killed in attempting to save a colleague during a search and destroy operation near Tra Bong in the Quang Ngai Province, Wheatley was awarded the Victoria Cross.
During his service in Vietnam, he was also awarded the United States Silver Star, the National Order of the Republic of Vietnam Knight's Badge, a Republic of Vietnam Military Merit Medal and a Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm.
Wheatley's body was repatriated back to Australia where he was buried, with full military honours, at Pine Grove Cemetery at Eastern Creek. He was survived by his wife and four children. His medals came into the Memorial's collection in 1993.
Share this page
- W.O. II KEVIN ARTHUR "DASHER" WHEATLEY WHO WAS POSTHUMOUSLY AWARDED THE VICTORIA CROSS.
- WARRANT OFFICER 2 KEVIN ARTHUR "DASHER" WHEATLEY, AUSTRALIAN ARMY TRAINING TEAM VIETNAM (AATTV) ...
- TWO SOLDIERS ABOUT TO PLACE A WREATH OF FLOWERS NEAR A COFFIN DRAPED WITH THE AUSTRALIAN FLAG ...
- TRA BONG, VIETNAM. 1965-11. GROUP PORTRAIT OF `A' TEAM, SPECIAL FORCES. LEFT TO RIGHT: BACK ROW: ...
- QUANG TRI, SOUTH VIETNAM. 1965. WARRANT OFFICER 2 K.A. "DASHER" WHEATLEY (LEFT) AND WO2 L.J. ...
- Colt Model M1911A1 Pistol : Warrant Officer Class II K A Wheatley, Australian Army Training Team Vietnam
- Bas Relief Sculpture of WO2 Kevin Wheatley, VC : Australian Army Training Team Vietnam
- Wheatley Victoria Cross presentation to the AWM DPR/TV/593
- A VIETNAMESE SOLDIER PINS A MEDAL TO THE AUSTRALIAN FLAG DRAPED OVER ONE OF THE COFFINS DURING ...
- The Australian Army Training Team has commemorated two of its best-known soldiers, Warrant ...