|Collection type||Private Record|
Bethune, Frank Pogson
First World War, 1914-1918
Item copyright: Copyright expired - public domain
This item is in the Public Domain
|Copying Provisions||Copying permitted subject to physical condition|
Bethune, Frank Pogson (Lieutenant, MC, 3rd Mg Coy, AIF b.1877 - d.1942)
Special order to No 1 Section by Lieutenant Bethune, 3rd Machine Gun Company, 13 March 1918, when the Section was ordered to occupy a defensive position at Buff Bank near Messines in France. The Section held the position for 18 days.
The order reads:
(1) This position will be held, and the section will remain here until relieved.
(2) The enemy cannot be allowed to interfere with this programme.
(3) If the section cannot remain here alive it will remain here dead, but in any case it will remain here.
(4) Should any man through shell shock or other cause, attempt to surrender, he will remain here dead.
(5) Should all guns be blown out, the section will use Mills grenades and other novelties.
(6) Finally, the position as stated, will be held.