Service dress tunic : Bombardier T A Newcombe, 2/4 Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment

Accession Number REL29326
Collection type Heraldry
Object type Uniform
Physical description Brass, Brass with 'antique bronze' finish, Felt, Wool gabardine
Maker Clothing Factory, South Melbourne (MTX)
Place made Australia
Date made 1939-1942
Conflict Second World War, 1939-1945

Khaki wool serge service dress tunic with a pair of pleated patch breast pockets and an expanding patch pocket with pointed flap over each hip. The tunic has oxidised AMF buttons, one of which is missing. There are miniature 'T' shaped colour patches denoting the 2nd/4th Australian Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment over triangular full sized patches for Anti-aircraft Regiments and Batteries (1945) on each shoulder, and corporal's rank chevrons and four blue overseas service chevrons on the lower right arm. The right arm also bears a metal driver's qualification badge. The tunic has oxidised 'AUSTRALIA' shoulder titles and 'Rising Sun' collar badges. The owner has added two press studs to supplement the lower buttons, plus two each on the top pocket flaps. There are two ribbon bars on the left breast for the Distinguished Conduct Medal, British War Medal 1914-1920, Victory Medal 1914-1918, 1939-45 Star, Africa Star with 8th Army clasp, Defence Medal and British War Medal 1939-45. A manufacturer's label is sewn to inner right breast.

History / Summary

Worn by VX37489 Bombardier Thomas Arthur Newcombe, born in Bristol, England in 1900. Newcombe served as a private with 2nd Battalion, Leicestershire Regiment during the First World War (service number 3/8802) and was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal at the age of 17, as well as suffering two gunshot wounds, one to his right shoulder. The citation for his DCM (which appeared in the Supplement to the London Gazette for 5 August 1915) reads ‘For conspicuous gallantry on the night of 15th and the 16th May, 1915, near Richebourg L'Avoue. An Officer was severely wounded during a night attack about 20 yards from the German parapet, and at 1.30 am Private Newcombe voluntarily went out under a heavy fire of rifles, machine guns, shrapnel and trench mortars to bring him in. The Officer was too badly wounded to move, and Private Newcombe remained with him all night, and until he died in the evening of the 16th, doing what he could for him. He crawled back to our line after dark exhausted with strain and exposure.' Newcombe emigrated to Australia, settling in Prahran, Victoria and enlisted with 3 Australian Anti Aircraft Regiment on 19 July 1940, seeing service in the Middle East. He was discharged on 12 September 1945.