Margaret Gray was born in 1871. She later trained at the Coast (later known as Prince Henry) Hospital in Sydney and conducted a private hospital at Lismore before going abroad as a nurse with the British forces soon after the outbreak of war. She left Sydney for England in 1914, and was then sent to France and attached to the British Red Cross Hospital in Rouen. As the only Australian sister attached to the hospital, for the first year, she was often asked by the commanding officer to attend to the Australian patients.
By the end of the war she had nearly five years' service and was awarded the Royal Red Cross for her valuable work. In 1920 she was appointed matron of Graythwaite Convalescent Hospital, North Sydney, and later matron at Cavell House, the rest home for trained nurses. Margaret Gray occupied this position until her death on 16 January 1933.