|Conflict||Second World War, 1939-1945|
Second World War, 1939-1945
No. 15 Squadron
15 Squadron was formed late in the Second World War at Camden in New South Wales on 27 January 1944. The unit soon moved to Menangle, where its duties included daily anti-submarine and convoy patrols, photo reconnaissance, fighter cooperation exercises, and training flights. An advance party left for New Guinea in July 1944, with squadron headquarters established at Madang on 20 March 1945.
In early May 1945 a detachment was sent to Tadji airfield at Aitape, joining combined attacks in support of the assault on Wewak. Unit aircraft also undertook anti-submarine and anti-barge patrols, mails runs, and supply drops. Many operations from Madang were conducted in concert with 120 (NEI) Squadron, including a combined attack on Sorong and Doom Islands on 19 July. Bombing and strafing attacks were made on Maprik, Sauri Hills, Marienburg, Sansapor, Samate, and along the Ramu and Bien Rivers.
After the cessation of hostilities on 15 August 1945 unit aircraft began dropping surrender leaflets over Dutch New Guinea and performed courier and transport duties. The unit moved to Kingaroy in Queensland in October and was disbanded on 23 March 1946.