Social Media Rules
Who we are and what our Social Media Channel are for
The Australian War Memorial combines a shrine, a world-class museum, and an extensive archive. The Memorial’s purpose is to commemorate the sacrifice of those Australians who have died in war. Its mission is to assist Australians to remember, interpret and understand the Australian experience of war and its enduring impact on Australian society.
Our Social Media Channels and other digital media presence is focused on helping people find out more about, discuss and engage with the Memorial’s collection, public programs and research Australia’s Military History. It is intended to encourage understanding and interpretation, and to allow Memorial staff and the public to work together to create a valuable and useful resource.
What the Social Media Rules are for
These Social Media Rules set out the rights of the Memorial when engaging with the public through digital media – social media and the Memorial website - and establishing expectations and rules of engagement between the Memorial and the public.
The views expressed by followers and public contributors on our Social Media Channels are their own and may not represent the views of the Memorial, its Council, employees, or affiliates.
Our Social Media Channels are monitored Monday to Friday during business hours to handle enquires. We aim to respond to all enquiries as quickly as possible during these hours, but please note that some enquiries can take longer to resolve. Accounts may be monitored outside of business hours subject to staff availability.
Where possible, the Memorial will respond to enquiries and direct messages on our Social Media Channels. Social media responses may be relatively informal. If you are seeking a formal response, please send your request to us via the Contact Us page on the Memorial website.
Treat us like you would like to be treated
Our Social Media Channels are monitored by real people. Please consider that your comments directly impact people’s lives.
Protect your privacy
Do NOT post any personal information on our Social Media Channels. Any posts that include an email address, phone number, address or other personal information will be removed. The Memorial is subject to the Privacy Act 1988 which requires that we comply with the Australian Privacy Principles set out in that Act.
Be polite and respectful
Our Social Media Channels are online communities. Please engage in a polite manner and be respectful of all readers and contributors. We are not against debate, but we are against personal attacks on contributors, staff members or anyone else.
Stay on topic
We welcome discussion and questions, but please keep comments relevant to the original post, and don’t repeat the same message across multiple unrelated posts. Off topic posts or comments are likely to be removed.
Do not post anything that is not your original creative content or that you do not have a lawful right to post.
If you are the owner of intellectual property rights and you believe your rights may be infringed by any material that are published on our Social Media Channels, please report it to us.
Rights of the Australian War Memorial
You must not use our Social Media Channels to:
- Post content that is insulting, threatening or hateful towards anyone (including certain groups of people, and Australian War Memorial staff);
- Abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the legal rights of anyone (including other contributors and Australian War Memorial staff);
- Post any misleading, deceptive or false information;
- Attribute any information as being sourced from the Memorial or the Memorial’s personnel or any other person or source associated with the Memorial unless that information has been publically published by the Memorial or has been specifically cleared by the Australian War Memorial for publication by you;
- Impersonate any person or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or organisation;
- Spam your contribution to the site by sending multiple copies or versions of it;
- Infringe another person's intellectual property rights, including copyright;
- Post personal website addresses, email addresses, telephone numbers or any other personally identifiable information;
- Scrape, collect or store personal information of any other person or information pertaining to any group;
- Post content that incites hatred on the base of race, religion, gender, nationality, sexuality, socio-economic status, or any other personal characteristics;
- Post or upload content of a political nature;
- Post off-topic or irrelevant contributions not in keeping with the prescribed topics or themes, including links to websites and internet content; and,
- Advertise or offer to sell or promote any goods or services in a manner that could be considered to be for any commercial purpose unless you have our written consent to do so.
User Generated Content
The rights you have in any content you submit to the Memorial via our Social Media Channels are not affected by the submission and remain with you, but by submitting it, you give the Memorial (and represent and warrant that you have the right to give) an ongoing irrevocable worldwide license to use, make available to the public, reproduce, publish, display, distribute and transmit such content without payment of any compensation to you. This licence also includes a right for the Memorial to modify the material to include a watermark, metadata or other information to assist in managing it (including rights in it).
Memorial Generated Content
All rights in content contributed by, or on behalf of, the Memorial to its Social Media Channels, remains the property of the Memorial. In order to reproduce this content, you require permission from the Memorial except that you are permitted to:
- Download and print copies of the content for your personal and non-commercial purposes; and,
- Place links to the Memorial’s platforms on your own websites or on social media.
See Copyright for full information on your rights to use Memorial Content.
Our Accounts and Platforms
The Social Media Rules applies to all of our accounts on each platform. You are welcome to join us in our social communities.